Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Best computer for $699-$799 w/out monitor

Old 08-24-02, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Best computer for $699-$799 w/out monitor

My boss is looking to pick up a new computer in a couple days. He told me he was going to get a Gateway. I told him he was about to be ripped off. So, he asked me where he should get one, and what the difference in price would be. I told him I'd check with you guys and let him know tomorrow. He's gonna be using it at home, just for paying bills, surfing, some gaming, etc... He doesn't need the monitor.

Any help? I just don't know the good & reputable places.

Thanks
Old 08-24-02, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

dell
Old 08-24-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by gcribbs
dell
ditto.

http://forums.anandtech.com/categories.cfm?catid=40

or

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/categories.cfm?catid=18

and search for Dell.

the deals usually come up every few days

i picked up a 4500 with GF4 tv out/20gb 7200 rpm/40x burner/p4 1.8/128 mb ddr for $600 with a palm m105. you could find it for less, but since i wasn't paying for it, i wasn't really complaining. oh yeah, and stop by crucial.com and pick up at least a 256mb stick, preferably a 512mb stick. don't buy it from Dell cuz they rip you off.
Old 08-24-02, 09:23 PM

I would suggest building it for him. You can make him a decent one for $500, and sell it to him for $700... but that is only a suggestion... hehehe
Old 08-24-02, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Natedogg
I would suggest building it for him. You can make him a decent one for $500, and sell it to him for $700... but that is only a suggestion... hehehe
uhhh...i wouldn't do that. if there is a problem, he's really gonna make you fix it (well, you don't have to, but then you'd better start looking for another job)

that, and Dell systems don't really end up being all that much more, and they use high quality components.

if you're looking for cheap computers, Dell has some for under $400 this weekend.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...&keyword1=dell

YMMV.
Old 08-24-02, 09:47 PM

I just don't like intel components... Dell is a great company to buy from, a few friends of mine deal with them... Gateway is a definite no-no... one of my college buds bought a computer from them and the monitor went out, and other components went out later on.. At least they replaced them though, which says something positive for customer service.
Old 08-24-02, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just don't like intel components... Dell is a great company to buy from, a few friends of mine deal with them... Gateway is a definite no-no... one of my college buds bought a computer from them and the monitor went out, and other components went out later on.. At least they replaced them though, which says something positive for customer service.
weird. i knew a girl in college with a gateway. the monitor died out too. they did replace it, but that thing was a POS anyways.

IMO, intel is better than AMD, but i use AMD whenever i put together my computer, since it's sooo much cheaper.
Old 08-24-02, 10:15 PM

Not according to benchmarks ;-) I think it all depends on people's personal preferences though.
Old 08-24-02, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you were going to build a computer for yourself i would see about building an AMD system. However if you do not have any idea how to build one or you are getting one for a friend I suggest Dell.

why screw up a friendship because they want constant tech support for free
Old 08-24-02, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not according to benchmarks ;-) I think it all depends on people's personal preferences though.
speed is only one concern. reliability is another. my Athlon 900 runs much hotter than my p4 1.8. heat is really bad for the computer over the long haul.

why screw up a friendship because they want constant tech support for free
especially when they fokk it up by doing something dumb. "oh, i didn't know you weren't supposed to do that" the thing that sucks is that they rarely consult you before doing something, and then mess it up, and then expect you to fix it. ok, enough ranting. stick to Dell for your friends. actually, i kinda like it myself. it's a good design inside. also, it's easier to get support than if you buy stuff from computer show/on line, especially since they might go out of business soon.
Old 08-24-02, 10:43 PM

lol Just get a better fan... I say go with the Dell, since it isn't for you.
Old 08-24-02, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hi Steve

Another AMD vs Intel thread is useless

However, a die hard AMD friend of mine actually showed me some pictures of what happend to him last weekend (I told him this is one reason to not use AMD for a machine left on 24.7)

{after you click the link, put a space at the end of the URL and hit enter to see the pic}

http://4krg.bobsville.com/PICS/comp_side_sm.jpg

http://4krg.bobsville.com/PICS/comp_side_sm2.jpg

http://4krg.bobsville.com/PICS/wall_sm.jpg

good thing for him, he was home or he would be minus 1 apartment along with being minus one computer.

He is a seasoned builder (over 100 machines in his career) and he used quality parts. A minor defect in a clip holding his cpu fan on caused this.

The clip came loose enough for the heatsink to lose complete contact with the cpu.

This was after almost a year of constant use.

Go with one of the Dell 4500S cheapo specials, for the money they can not be beat, but this is not a HIGH quality machine when compared to the rest of the Dell line.
Old 08-25-02, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by 4KRG
Hi Steve

However, a die hard AMD friend of mine actually showed me some pictures of what happend to him last weekend (I told him this is one reason to not use AMD for a machine left on 24.7)

{after you click the link, put a space at the end of the URL and hit enter to see the pic}

good thing for him, he was home or he would be minus 1 apartment along with being minus one computer.

He is a seasoned builder (over 100 machines in his career) and he used quality parts. A minor defect in a clip holding his cpu fan on caused this.

The clip came loose enough for the heatsink to lose complete contact with the cpu.

Go with one of the Dell 4500S cheapo specials, for the money they can not be beat, but this is not a HIGH quality machine when compared to the rest of the Dell line.
holy carp!!! that's in****ingbelievable.

anyways, back to the topic at hand, i'd highly recommend staying away from the 4500s series, since everything is on the mobo. i chose to pay more for the 4500, and am glad i did, since the 4500s is in a tiny case, and wouldn't be able to hold 4 ide devices.
Old 08-25-02, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by 4KRG
Hi Steve

I never leave my computer on 24/7 anyway however I assume the thermal protection in my MB would shutdown before that although who knows.
Old 08-25-02, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by gcribbs

I never leave my computer on 24/7 anyway however I assume the thermal protection in my MB would shutdown before that although who knows.
My motherboard also has thermal protection... Maybe that guy should have invested in a better mobo eh?? hehehe
Old 08-25-02, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You have much faith in the thermal protection in your mobo, don't. It is flawed and can still allow the chip to catch fire.

I believe that will change in the near future, Asus is working on a fail proof thermal shutdown for AMD. It has not hit the market just yet.

I run many machines 24/7 at work and at home. Since everything is Intel I have no worries

The 4500S is meant for someone that surfs the internet and checks email and does MS office type work It is not meant for 4 IDE devices, or gammers, or anything out of they typical office worker type stuff.

It is certainly not for everyone. I know many executives that at quite happy with it. It does not take up a lot of space and means they can have a cheap alternative to hauling their laptop home everynight.

Steve said cheap, he said nothing else, this fits the bill.
Old 08-25-02, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Well, I told him to go with the Dell, but he's gonna drop $1,100 at Circuit City for the Sony that's in their ad this week. I'm sure I'm still gonna be providing tech support for anything that goes wrong, I get called to his office all the time to fix the computer...thank god it's always small stupid stuff.

Thanks for all the help anyways guys!! I'll be asking for help again in a couple of months for some prices. I'm gonna build another one for myself...all top of the line stuff baby!!!

...oh yeah, nice pics Ken...(Steve quietly turns computer off when he's done using it now...)