Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

good cheap photo printer?

Old 08-23-02, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

good cheap photo printer?

i'm looking for a photo printer that has high quality, but has to be cheap. speed and noise are not of concern to me, and i don't care too much about text (i'm gonna keep my epson 860 for that). i don't need a wide printer or anything, but i want one that will have good texturing on skin. i was looking into the epson 820. anyone have any thoughts?
Old 08-26-02, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ anyone?
Old 08-27-02, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Could you define cheap?
Old 08-27-02, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

could you define phluffer?
Old 08-27-02, 07:27 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got the Epson C60 for about $30 after a sale and rebates at Office Depot. Although they don't have the offer right now, keep an eye out, that model is always on sale.

Also, I found that generic cartridges for the Epsons tend to be relatively low priced compared to HP or Lexmark....I've had good luck with generics.
Old 08-27-02, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
Could you define cheap?
less than $100, but i'm willing to pay up to $150, if the quality is much better than the $100 one.
Old 08-27-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by D.Phluffer

less than $100, but i'm willing to pay up to $150, if the quality is much better than the $100 one.
If you are an Epson fan, you might look at the Photo 820. It's around $100, less in some of the office stores. It's probably right up your alley, because it does very, very nice photos for the price. If you go with a C60 or a C80, you'll probably like the photos. But the 820 is a six-color printer designed specifically for photos, while the C series are more all-around printers with the four-color system. All that said, I just heard Epson's new line is coming out, so you can either get a better printer for the same price, or you can see if the 820 drops in price.
Old 08-27-02, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mad Dawg

If you are an Epson fan, you might look at the Photo 820. It's around $100, less in some of the office stores. It's probably right up your alley, because it does very, very nice photos for the price. If you go with a C60 or a C80, you'll probably like the photos. But the 820 is a six-color printer designed specifically for photos, while the C series are more all-around printers with the four-color system. All that said, I just heard Epson's new line is coming out, so you can either get a better printer for the same price, or you can see if the 820 drops in price.

thanks! guess i'll just wait until epson comes out with their new line. do you have any guestimate as to when that will be?
Old 08-28-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've heard mid-September. They've already announced their two new "all-arounders" with the C62 and C82, both to arrive in Sept.
Old 08-28-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've heard mid-September. They've already announced their two new "all-arounders" with the C62 and C82, both to arrive in Sept.
This feature enables the Stylus C82 to place up to six different ink droplet sizes as small as three picoliters at resolution levels as high as 5,760 x 1,440 optimized dpi for sharper text, greater detail and brighter colors.
http://www.businesswire.com/webbox/b.../222390365.htm

thanks for the heads up...i'm definately waiting
Old 08-28-02, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

photo 825:

Both printers also offer up to 5760 x 720 dpi with Resolution Performance Management(TM) (RPM(TM)) technology and four-picoliter droplets, delivering the best in visibly continuous tone quality for prints that appear indistinguishable from traditional photos.

http://www.businesswire.com/webbox/b.../222260059.htm

wait a sec...why does the new standard printer have a better resolution than the photo printer?
Old 08-29-02, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, somewhere on their site, Epson is very vocal about how little resolution matters to the quality of printers these days. It's getting to the point where the goal is to rope in customers doing "number-shopping." Everyone is doing it, and Epson has to compete. I doubt there is much difference in the resolution...the colors will be the key, and my guess is that the PhotoStylus printers with six colors will still be the choice to print primarily photos for Epson users. The C82 will be there to compete with HP's 5550 and Lexmark's Z65 for all-purpose uses.
Old 08-29-02, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, somewhere on their site, Epson is very vocal about how little resolution matters to the quality of printers these days. It's getting to the point where the goal is to rope in customers doing "number-shopping." Everyone is doing it, and Epson has to compete. I doubt there is much difference in the resolution...the colors will be the key, and my guess is that the PhotoStylus printers with six colors will still be the choice to print primarily photos for Epson users. The C82 will be there to compete with HP's 5550 and Lexmark's Z65 for all-purpose uses.
ok then...guess i'll get a photo one, maybe the new 825 when it comes out