Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help .... problem with starting up!

Old 08-23-02, 04:32 PM

Help .... problem with starting up!

I just upgrade my soundcard from Soundblaster Live Value to Soundblaster Audigy (onsale at newegg.com) and not sure which Audigy it is (Gamer/MP3)...
Anyway, after installing the driver, software on the CD-ROM came with the Soundcard. I got the blue screen with error message on it...

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF003619B, 0xF7AF44BC, 0xF7AF41BC)

My system:
Dell Dimension 4400
Pentium 4 1.9 GHz
384 MB DDR Ram
Win XP Pro

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I did uninstall the software/driver of the Soundblaster Live before upgrading it to the Audigy.
Old 08-23-02, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Yank the card out, and see if it boots up just fine? If it does uninstall the newly installed software. If the machine is now booting up fine, then re-instert card back into the machine. Find the latest XP driver for that sound card, and install it. If it happens again, return the sound card.
Old 08-24-02, 12:27 AM

I moved the soundcard to a different slot and able to start window xp...
But now there is another problem, window is not recognizing the DVD-ROM or my CD Burner...

What could be wrong ???
Old 08-24-02, 03:51 AM

I had similar problems with the Audigy when it first came out, so I returned it. But, I think Creative Labs has worked on the driver a bit, so perhaps the latest will work if installed just right...the Products.Sound_Blaster.Audigy newsgroup on the Creative Labs newsgroup server was helpful to me back when I was fighting with the thing...