Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Best scanner for photos?

Old 08-23-02, 12:35 PM
Banned

Best scanner for photos?

I have a bunch of photos I want to scan. Various sizes, 3x5, 4x6, etc. What's the best scanner to get to scan them in? Flatbed, photo scanner, whatever, I'm simply looking for whatever will give the best image quality at a reasonable price.
Old 08-23-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It all depends on what you consider to be reasonable.

I just spent $129 at CostCo for a flatbed scanner (to scan my snappers) and it does an incredible job.

I would probably go with flatbed in your case, it offers more versatility for future projects.
Old 08-23-02, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Optical resouliton is everything when it comes to scanning photos.

Ignore the "software enhanced" resolution ratings

Go with something that has the highest optical resolution you can afford and you will be happy.

I would also recommend you go flatbed, just because it will be useful for other things.
Old 08-23-02, 01:43 PM
Banned

Yeah, "interpolated" is nonsense, I know. I know the sort of things to look for, I just wanted some experience stories. The highest optical I found was 2400x4800 or some such.

But the thing is that all the scanners in the store looked and felt kinda flimsy. Maybe it's just me.
Old 08-23-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Epson Perfection series is the best Ive used, and I have to say the ones with the transparency (negative/slide/overhead) adapter are the way to go. You can scan your negatives relatively quick and easy. The 1650 and 1660 are quie good for the price...
Old 08-23-02, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

2400x4800 is insanely overdone IMO. That file size would be enormous. I would say that for an everyday Joe, 1200x1200 would be more than sufficient.
Old 08-23-02, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I say go for a film scanner. The dynamic range is substantially better than that of a flatbed, and you get a lot better information out of film than a print--it's simply a matter of 1st generation (film) vs second generation (print) and the information that can be retained in it. If quality is your prime concern, a film scanner is your only option.

What do you consider a "reasonable" price? In my opinion, $800 for a Nikon CoolScan IV is very reasonable, considering the high quality you get. The Minolta Dimage Dual Scan II ($300) seems to get fairly positive reviews, for the price.

www.scantips.com has more and better information than I could ever provide. This may be of specific interest.

Once you buy the scanner--whatever scanner you get--I recommend you buy a copy of VueScan.
Old 08-23-02, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
The Epson Perfection series is the best Ive used, and I have to say the ones with the transparency (negative/slide/overhead) adapter are the way to go. You can scan your negatives relatively quick and easy. The 1650 and 1660 are quie good for the price...
I agree...I looked around lots before I bought my scanner, an Epson Perfection 1640SU. Absolutely love it.
Old 08-23-02, 05:00 PM
Banned

danw: Unfortunately I don't have negatives for most of these.