Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DVD-RW Questions????

Old 08-23-02, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVD-RW Questions????

I have a few questions about DVD-RW drives. Recently my CD-RW took a crap and no longer works, and i was going to replace it, however, i've been seeing some DVD-RW drives at around ~$300. I was wondering if I should purchase one of these or should i wait a while until technology improves? Also, i was wondering if you burn a DVD movie, do you get the same quality as the original disc???? You can burn movies right???? I'm not sure if these are some write protection or anything on movies.

Also, if anyone recommends one, what brand would you suggest??? I've saw Pioneer, HP, Ricoh, and Sony as affordable drives as of now. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
DD
Old 08-23-02, 01:44 PM

Get a Pioneer DVR-104 or A04 the latter being the retail version.
It is a super drive
1x, 2x - DVD-R
1x - DVD-RW
8x - CD-R
4x - CD-RW

You can get one for around $250 oem, the retail goes for a little higher cause they put the pioneer logo on the drive and give a blank dvd-r and dvd-rw and a nice cardboard box and lousy software.

Generic DVD-Rs go for about $1 each and they work fine. I use DVDPro generic brand from meritline.com

Nero 5.5.8.0+ will burn DVDs.

About copying DVDs alot of movies these days are Dual-Layered (9.4gb). DVD-R are dvd-5 4.7gb. DVDs are protected by Macrovision thats why you cant just hook up your VCR and record it from your DVD player. You can break this protection and copy a DVD to DVD-R however I can not discuss about this further just that it takes a powerful computer, a little knowledge and alot of time to do this.
Old 08-23-02, 03:17 PM

It is my understanding that the A04 is simply the version in Apple computers. The 104 is still a retail version; it's the one I have.

Be really careful about cheap DVD-R's. I think they're kinda hit and miss. For all the people who say they work great, you'll find just as many people who say they're terrible. I say, stick with reliable brands. It's a bit more expensive, but it avoids any headaches. Apple, TDK, Sony, Verbatim, Maxell, and Pioneer discs seem to be excellent.

The Pioneer DVR-104 is an excellent drive; but if your only use is to copy movies, it may not be the smartest thing to get. I use mine to transfer some shows that aren't on DVD to DVD and for videos I create.

The only other question is -R or +R. The Pioneers are -R/-RW. But, I really don't think it matters what kind you get, unless you are wanting to distribute your DVDs for others to watch. At the moment, DVD-R is the most compatible and the cheapest. Besides, even if one format does become obsolete, new DVD players would most likely continue to read the old format - so you really can't go too wrong here.