Can my computer handle WinXP Pro?

Old 08-22-02, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can my computer handle WinXP Pro?

I currently have a:
533 celeron @550(100) [stock speed, no overclock]
448mb ram
aopen 250 watts psu [will get a stronger one if needed]
4 gb maxtor {will replace with 20gb 7200rpm maxtor hd)
DVD drive
cd rw drive
ati rage xpert pro w/ 16mb of video memory

I plan to use the win98se cabs and burn 'em on a cd from the old hd for the winxp pro upgrade on the fresh 20gb hd.

I don't play games that much, which is why I'm happy with the specs now. I want to use winxp pro for more security and quick user switching, and win2k is a nice but I want a newer os. I already plan to tweak the hell out of winxp to make it run faster. From the specs I listed, is it good enough to meet winxp ro's system requiremts(which Microsft says is 300mhz and 128mb ram)? But I'd like your opinions.
Old 08-22-02, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't run just fine. Heck it will probably run smoother than on a high performance system
Old 08-22-02, 08:50 PM

XP Pro should run, but be sure you get all the XP drivers for your vid cards, sound cards, and DVD software BEFORE you install it. Once you put XP on, you will most likely have to upfdate everything with XP drivers. It was a painless process for me, but having a cable modem made it much more easier to download the files (since most were large, especially the sound card drivers, cd-rw software drivers, etc.).

BTW, I LOVE XP Pro - my computer runs smooth as hell, and I've been on XP Pro for over a year now - good luck!
Old 08-22-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes.. I was concerned about ms's requirements. I was worried they'd be like video games req's which I believe aren't accurate since they're just basic req's to get the game to work. I was just concerned that winxp pro was a big resource hogger, but I'll turn off the unneeded services.

Well, as for the drivers, I know some of the hardware is pretty old. But even if they don't have xp drivers, they still have w2k drivers which I have been told will work fine under xp.

DVD software is powerDVd XP Will the DVd playback still be smooth?
Old 08-22-02, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ranger, we both have a similarly spec'd computer. The key thing is to have enuf RAM (I have 384), which you clearly do, and a big enough HD, will I will upgrade to (6.4 currently to 60+GB) and then install XP.

Make sure you install clean, erase the writable portion of your BIOS before the install (I think it's called the NVRAM or ESCD) and let us (or at least me) know how it goes.
Old 08-22-02, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jepthah
Ranger, we both have a similarly spec'd computer. The key thing is to have enuf RAM (I have 384), which you clearly do, and a big enough HD, will I will upgrade to (6.4 currently to 60+GB) and then install XP.

Make sure you install clean, erase the writable portion of your BIOS before the install (I think it's called the NVRAM or ESCD) and let us (or at least me) know how it goes.
I am not sure what you mean by the writeable portion of the BIOS. Are you talking about flashing the BIOS or upgrading it?
I don't see how that's necessary, before the install, I plan to run the BIOS with the Fail safe settings to ensure a smooth installation.

It will be on a brand new hd, I plan to use the upgrade cd as the bot disk and when it asks for the previous version of windows, then I'll pop in the cd with the win98se cabs in it. I have been told that at this point, it won't even extract the cabs, all it wants to do is check. Anybody can confirm this?

I don't plan to do this for a couple of months since I will be starting year deux at college and won't have time to do this.
BTW, No my school doesn't give student discounts on software.so I'll be getting the academic upgrade from newegg for $85.
Old 08-22-02, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, not a BIOS flash or upgrade. There is a portion of most BIOSes that Windows writes to during installation and hardware changes. It is a good idea to erase it through the BIOS menu options before performing a new installation because XP may want new settings to perform more smoothly. In my BIOS it says "Clear Extended Configuration Data?" If this is done for instance while still on the same Windows installation, on the next boot-up all hardware would be redetected and enumerated. Since different OSes can use resources and IRQs differently, it can be a useful step to take, although I wouldn't say it's mandatory.
Old 08-22-02, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm. I'm not sure if my BIOS has that, never noticed anything like that, I'll check and look for that later. Thanks.
Old 08-23-02, 12:38 AM

Just a thought....

Are you sure you can use an upgrade edition of XP PRO to upgrade from Win98? I thought if you had Win9x/ME, then you had upgrade to XP HOME, while if your current OS is NT/2K you use the XP PRO upgrade. Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case, you could still 'upgrade' from Win98 to XP Pro but you would need to do a clean install with the full version of XP Pro.
Old 08-23-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have a better link but http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...%3A3954%3A4452