Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Quick Networking question

Old 08-22-02, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Quick Networking question

Hi everyone,

I am about to move into the townhouse we were having built. Before drywall went up, I wired the **** out of the place with cat5e. Now it's time for me to terminate to Leviton wall Modular Jacks. My question is this - Do I use the T568A or T568B wiring scheme? I have cable internet and a Linksys router. I plan to either buy an 8 port router or get a hub to connect to the router. Am I correct to assume that I should not be doing crossover?
Would I have to use a crossover cable from the router to the hub, if that's what I end up doing?

Is there any benefit to just buying a new 8-port router?

Thanks for the help, I am really network stupid
Old 08-22-02, 11:09 PM

It really shouldn't matter which scheme you use, as long as you're consistent. Looks like T568A might be slightly prefered (look at http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/diff568ab.htm for one example), but as long as you wire them all the same, it shouldn't matter.

The Linksys box has an uplink port, so you shouldn't need to use a crossover cable to connect a hub to it.

The only benefit to buying a new 8-port router is that if it's switched, you'll get better traffic management between ports, and theoretically higher throughput between machines if you're using a bunch of machines at the same time. Considering the bottleneck is your cable internet connection, it's not going to make a difference if you're mostly surfing the web. If you regularly transfer a lot of large files between various machines at the same time, you might notice a difference.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-23-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info Dirk
Old 08-23-02, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I agree T586A is pretty much the standard. But as long as all the cables are terminated the same it doesn't matter that much.
Old 08-23-02, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you wire for crossover the cables WON'T be terminated the same... the wiring scheme differs on each end... better to go straight through... you can always use a crossover as the one you connect to your wall jack.
Old 08-23-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by QuAcKeR
If you wire for crossover the cables WON'T be terminated the same... the wiring scheme differs on each end... better to go straight through... you can always use a crossover as the one you connect to your wall jack.
But I shouldn't wire for crossover, should I? I am not going computer to computer on this network.

Thanks
Old 08-24-02, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by nevermind

But I shouldn't wire for crossover, should I? I am not going computer to computer on this network.

Thanks
As Dirk mentioned above, that shouldn't be necessary.
Old 08-24-02, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just did part of the connecting - the wall plates. The other end I'll do after I move in.

Thanks for your help, everyone
Old 08-24-02, 11:43 PM

Not a problem - glad I could help!