Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

compaq ipaq....what kind of internet capabilities?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-22-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anyone know what kind of Internet capabilities this pocket pc or others similar have? I realize at least some of them have 802.b wireless, but is it limited to text web (a la cell phones) or is it full fledged net access? ALso, is it possible to use a cell phone as a modem at all (depending on model I guess)?

Thanks.
Old 08-23-02, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The IPAQ and all Pocket PCs have a scaled down version of Internet Explorer, so you get the text, graphics, and sound of a full web site...and pretty much any site. There are infrared modems available for most models of PPCs and various phones, so you might want to check some PPC accessory sites to find out if yours is available. You can also get a 56k CompactFlash modem that plugs into a standard wall jack, but with the IPAQ you will need an expansion sleeve. The might be the case with all wireless modems and the IPAQ, other than the higher end with embedded 802.11b.
Old 08-23-02, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-23-02, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Capabilities are limited.

First, the software and hardware really isn't that robust yet. Pocket Internet Explorer and Pocket Outlook are OK, but you're still trying to view websites on a comparatively tiny screen. Prepare to do a lot of scrolling! Plus, neither the OS nor the software is terrifically stable.

More importantly, however, getting an Internet connection is tricky. Wireless (802.11) is OK to administrate, but you have to buy an extra CF sleeve and card, which adds to the bulk and battery drain. Bluetooth is a better concept, but it's just not there yet. Cellphone connectivity is plagued by two problems: A) wireless Internet plans are ridiculously priced at present, and B) you have to lug around a second device and a connecting cable (or balance the devices juuuuuuust right to get your infrared mojo workin'.)

- David Stein
Old 08-25-02, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I regularly use my Casio BE-300 (Windows CE-based PDA) connected to my Sprint PCS cell phone for internet access. I use a DPC CF card from Socket Communications to attach the BE-300 to the cell phone.

I've managed to visit all the pages I need to with either Casio's Web Browser or Pocket IE. I find it quite adequate. Considering that the BE-300 is a crippled WinCE device, I can only imagine that a true PPC would be even better.

Using a DPC card (with is essentially a CF card with a hardwired cable with the cell phone connector), I can get full battery life out of both my phone and BE. The DPC card draws very little power compared to a serial cable and gender bender solution.

Wireless Web access is included in my cell service so "minutes-are-minutes".
Old 08-26-02, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sracer
Wireless Web access is included in my cell service so "minutes-are-minutes".
Who do you use? What kind of plan do you have?

- David Stein