Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need winamp help.

Old 08-22-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Need winamp help.

I listen to a streaming audio feed online using winamp. Sometimes the connection gets cut off while 'buffering'. I know I have a fast enough connection (cable modem); so is there a way to make winamp download, and place into buffer, as much of the song as it can? Or atleast the next 5 minutes of the song?
Old 08-22-02, 06:29 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

It might be on the other end causing the problems...

Maybe the person is on a dial-up connection, or just doesn't have a great connection to allow streaming...
Old 08-22-02, 09:03 PM

Also, make sure you are getting the most out of your cable connection. Not to plug another board, but DSL Reports is a great site to get your speed tweaked up to spec. Visit the cable forums, and you'll have to run a few free speed and diagnostic tests (all provided there for free). You then post your results in one of the forums, and ask for help in tweaking. My ISP (TWC RoadRunner) caps my d/l at 2000 and my u/l at 370, and initially I was getting 1400 d/l and 260 u/l. Once I went there and made a few recommended tweaks, I average 1900 d/l and 365 u/p.

And I never get buffering problems with Winamp, no matter which of the 100 or so stream feeds I use
Old 08-22-02, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Vryce
It might be on the other end causing the problems...

Maybe the person is on a dial-up connection, or just doesn't have a great connection to allow streaming...
I highly doubt it. They're transmitting at a full 128kbps from www.energydanceradio.com.
Old 08-22-02, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dvddude23
Also, make sure you are getting the most out of your cable connection. Not to plug another board, but DSL Reports is a great site to get your speed tweaked up to spec. Visit the cable forums, and you'll have to run a few free speed and diagnostic tests (all provided there for free). You then post your results in one of the forums, and ask for help in tweaking. My ISP (TWC RoadRunner) caps my d/l at 2000 and my u/l at 370, and initially I was getting 1400 d/l and 260 u/l. Once I went there and made a few recommended tweaks, I average 1900 d/l and 365 u/p.

And I never get buffering problems with Winamp, no matter which of the 100 or so stream feeds I use
Been to that board many times; it's the first place i go whenever I get a new ISP. Everything's tweaked as it is. I was getting over 4500Kbps when the old @home network was still around. Now with ATTBI I'm getting 1460Kbps (cap is 1500Kbps). So I know it's not my end.