Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

how do i hook a 2nd pc to one with cable internet access.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-21-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 153 Likes on 127 Posts

i hope someone can help me.

i have cable internet hooked up to the computer downstairs with xp installed.

i would like to set up the pc upstairs (win98)to be hooked up so it will be conected to the one downstairs for access to the internet through the cable internet and if possable to use the printer from the computer dwnstrs also.

doesnt need to be wireless because i dont want to spend alot of money but if not too expensive i will go wireless.

so as inexpensive as possible would be best.

if there is a web site that very simply goes through step by step i would be very grateful.

i really am trying to get the most info i can before i go to the b & m because i dont trust them.

and in very simple terms no compu speak because i wont know how to follow that.
thanks for the help.

i posted this in another thread but it looks like its about to get lost in the other discussions going on there.
Old 08-21-02, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might not want to spend money, but I would invest in a router. makes things alot simpler.
http://www.sohoware.com/prod/prod-add2.html

This might help you out. I bought a broadguard 800, it fit my needs
http://store.yahoo.com/sohowaredirect/nbg800.html

All you need is the ethernet cables and the router. Set up the router and off you go!

Last edited by olie029; 08-21-02 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-21-02, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You have three options:

1) Absolute cheapest solution: Buy a second network card for the downstairs server and a whole bunch of Ethernet cable. Unfortunately, this is cheapest but also ridiculously unstable. vinyl and I tried this several years ago, and the server computer is still a source of instability and a bottleneck (worse if you use it regularly!)

2) A slightly more expensive method would be to buy a wired router. Hook the cable modem up to the router, then hook each computer up to the router.

The downside to both solutions that you still have to string cabling up to the upstairs computer. And cabling is expensive and unsightly; you have to watch out for things like fluorescent lighting that jams the network signal with noise; and if the connector tip breaks, you'll have to junk the cable or buy a crimper (a $50 tool) and some connectors to fix it.

The upshot is that your best solution will be:

3) Wireless. You can get a wireless router and two network cards for under $150 these days.

- David Stein
Old 08-21-02, 04:15 PM
Banned

Won't the internet connect sharing features option built into windows 98 SE (and presumably on up) do this for you?
Old 08-21-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

icondude i dont know. thats why i'm here to aske the experts.

so if i get a router i can hook the cable internet right o that the go from the router to the computer dounstars and the one uptrs.

since i already have cable-i downstairs then do i still need to get 2 network cards?

or shouldnt that already be in my computer with winxp?

i'm really not hip to all this wording. i dont know what router is or network cards are.

i need to know this before i go to the store.

so what should i tell the guy at the store i need exactly. and how much should i expect to spend, least expensive possible for wireless.

thanks for the quick replies.
Old 08-21-02, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You need to hook both computers to the router.

A network card is not included with WinXP. Though network cards are very cheap.
Old 08-21-02, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ok i found the router at the store just to check it out.
it looks like i also need a router adapter for the second computer.
is that correct? they seem to be in the 50-60 price range.

also do i need an ethernet card for the scecond pc if i am using this wireless router and apapter set-up?
Old 08-21-02, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by whotony
ok i found the router at the store just to check it out.
it looks like i also need a router adapter for the second computer.
is that correct? they seem to be in the 50-60 price range.

also do i need an ethernet card for the scecond pc if i am using this wireless router and apapter set-up?
router adapter??

make sure both computers have a network cards installed.

hook the cable modem into the router.

hook up both computers into the router running ethernet cable between the network card to the router.

go online.

then post here if you need any help configuring the network settings( I assume the first computer is already set up and running fine)
Old 08-22-02, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

network card?? is that the same as the ethernet card?

i have that in the main pc but not in the other one.
Old 08-22-02, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by whotony
network card?? is that the same as the ethernet card?

i have that in the main pc but not in the other one.
Yes. Luckily they start at $6.
Old 08-22-02, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks it looks like i have plenty of info to get this thing going.

thanks foer the help.
Old 08-23-02, 11:41 PM

Using ICS (Internet connection sharing--a built in function of XP) on the XP box ought to be quite stable. I used it before with Win2k and 98 and it worked as good as the hardware cable router I'm using now.

Look here at this site for details on how to configure it. You will need 1 ethernet card in each computer, as well as a crossover cable to run between them. Total cost around $40, mostly for a long crossover cable.

The convenience of a wireless cable router would be worth the money, though, imho.
Old 08-24-02, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks michael i'll check into that.
only prob is the cable running to the upstairs pc.
Old 08-24-02, 03:05 AM

I went wireless. Bought a wireless accesspoint and router for $150 at Best Buy and a wireless card for my laptop ($50). Installed flawlessly and works incredibly well.

As I type this I am reclined in my lazyboy with y lap top on my lap. Modem is 100FT away in my den.
Old 08-24-02, 12:05 PM

Internet connection sharing works okay, but the router is a much better solution. If the host computer has any type of problem it is going to affect the other computer as well. The biggest pain in the butt is when you are really into an online game and someone is using the other computer for something and it creates a fatal error and has to be rebooted. You have to disconnect while the other box reboots.

With a router you are no longer dependant on another PC. Ping times will be better from the second box and you dont have to worry about crashes. Its well worth the 70 dollars or so.
Old 08-24-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it looks like i'll be looking at wireless router.
seems to be the easiest way to go for no wires running thriugh the house.

so.

i need the router.
and what else do i need?
i dont have an ethernet card in 2nd pc so do i need that or do i just need a wireless adapter?
or adapter and ethernet for the 2nd pc?

i know i need the router but not sure exactly what else i need.

michael i looked at that site but again it has alot of pcspeak that i just dont follow for instance...

"WARNING #1: When you enable ICS, the network adapter connected to the local area network is assigned a static IP address of 192.168.0.1. The client computers are assigned other IP addresses in the 192.168.0.x range. These addresses may not be compatible with an existing network."

huh?

so can someone clue me in to a check list i should take to the store so i know what i need for wireless internet access from main pc to 2nd pc?

main pc is winxp with comcast cable at home internet external modem.
2nd pc is win98 internal dialup modem no ethernet card.

thanks for all the help.
Old 08-24-02, 06:50 PM

The router will determine what you need. Some run through NIC cards using cat5 cable looks like a big phone jack, some use 10base2 looks like a big screw on metal connector. Some use your USB ports.

The wireless one is going to have some type of transmitter/receiver setup that more than likely will use USB.

Look at the box, it should tell you what and how many of each you will need to hook it up.

Also any type of network is going to have its own addressing. You will set up the router as your main address, the one your cable company or dsl service has assigned to you. All the other computers will be assigned dummy IP's that are not open to the internet. This does create some problems especially when playing online games.

My router has a nice web based setup menu where i can assign different ports to different computers. This automatically routes the traffic directly to those computers. You can also set up a computer as a DMZ server. I really dont know how that works but if you are hosting something on your computer I know it makes it work when sometimes people cannot connect to you.