Reload this Page >

Questions re: Macs, Final Cut Pro, and Final Draft

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-15-02, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any help anybody can provide will be greatly appreciated!

as an aspiring filmmaker, i am looking into obtaining the proper hardware and software required to do it all myself... so these questions are for those of you who know about Macs and the programs Final Cut Pro (FCP) and Final Draft (FD)...

i am sticking to macs alone because they are generally considered the best for the programs in question (especially considering that FCP is a Mac exclusive program! )..

anyway,

1) can FCP run on G4 Powerbooks?
1a) if so, would you recommend against it anyway?(i.e. should i stick to a G4 desktop for FCP?)
also, you can assume that if i were to run FCP on a powerbook, i would be using an external memory device.
1b) if FCP can run on a G4 Powerbook, would it be safe to also put FD on the same computer?

2) iBooks versus Powerbooks, benefits and costs. debate. (this question is only relevant if FCP is better for G4 desktops...)

i'm sure i'll think of more questions as the discussion progresses..

assuming it progresses!
-di doctor-
Old 08-15-02, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
FCP will run on G4 powerbooks, and you can daisy-chain a camera and a firewire hard drive to the powerbook's single firewire port. As long as it's a quality firewire case (Oxford 911 chipset), you should be fine.

I would imagine you would have no problem running Final Draft on the same machine.

iBooks can also run FCP, but since they have the non-altivec enhanced G3 processor, they will be slower at rendering transitions, effects, titles, etc. The G4 powerbook's wide screen will be better for editing, since the timeline can stretch further across the screen.

A desktop will give you better performance, especially since they just moved the entire powermac line to dual processors, but a powerbook will work fine.
Old 08-15-02, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

thanks for the response!

i'll stew on that a bit and see if i have any more questions...
-di doctor-
Old 08-17-02, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
FCP can run on a Titanium (I have a G4/550, and it does fine)... but you can get the hard drive upgraded from a 4200 rpm drive to a 5400 rpm drive for faster spin and editing, but the external FW drive is a great option. I have two drives I use a 10G and a 20G. But you may want to get somewhere around an 80G drive... you can get those for great deals, just try http://www.dealmac.com , they always have good info on specials.

I would also recommend getting DVD Studio Pro so that when you are done you can output your movie to show to others. But you will need a Superdrive and you can put one together for around $300... or you can just ask me and I'll help you with it. We've got 3 great editing/authoring stations at the U I teach at.

Good luck...

(You may also want to this about getting the CineLook filter, it makes DV look 16mm, and I think you can find it OSX...)
Old 08-17-02, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
... one more thing... if you get a Powerbook and want to do the DVD thing and want another machine to do some editing on, you may also want to invest in one of the eMacs... they added a Superdrive a few days ago...

For $1500 you get a G4/800 with a 60G drive, Superdrive, two Firewire Ports, 3 USB, and Video Out (adapter required; not included) and you can stick a Gig of RAM into it for next to nothing, and the 32M video card ain't bad either. The 17" is good enough to edit on... if you want a secondary solution to the Powerbook...

(My brother bought one and swears by it as a great little machine.)

Old 08-17-02, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1) can FCP run on G4 Powerbooks?
Absolutely. I have a professional editor friend (primarily Avid Media and Film Composers) who uses a G3 Powerbook for FCP and Pro Tools.

1a) if so, would you recommend against it anyway?(i.e. should i stick to a G4 desktop for FCP?)
also, you can assume that if i were to run FCP on a powerbook, i would be using an external memory device.
Personally, I would recommend a DT system. Better suited to the use, and less expensive. And you can burn DVDs for less.

You would definitely need external storage for your media drives. After the new G4s came out last week (and I was very disappointed in them) I immediately purchased a Quicksilver 1GHz Dual Processor machine new for $2200. It actually has superior processors to the new 1GHz DP... Anyway, the 80GB stock HD gets pulled immediately and I put in my three Western Digital 120GB SE HDs. One partitioned with OS 10.2, OS 9.2, and apps and such. The other two are the 240GB media drive as a striped pair hardware RAID configuration running off an UltraATA 133 controller card (no drivers required).

1b) if FCP can run on a G4 Powerbook, would it be safe to also put FD on the same computer?
Sure. And any other apps or OSs or whatever.

I run FD on Mac OS 9.1 and non-Apple hardware powered by an early IBM G3 running at 325MHz (upclocked from 266).

2) iBooks versus Powerbooks, benefits and costs. debate. (this question is only relevant if FCP is better for G4 desktops...)
I won't debate it, suffice it to say I would ideally take a G4 DT and an iBook for the price of a new TiBook.

NOTE that you can get a brand new G4 933MHz for $1450 right now. That is a remarkable bargain for pro audio and video folks. Or get a newly announced dual processor 867MHz, sans SuperDrive, for $1700.

Last edited by reverb; 08-17-02 at 09:43 PM.