Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone know any Keyboard Shortcuts for Lotus Notes R5?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-07-02, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I just started here at a firm that uses Lotus Notes R5. I'm trying to get the hang of it, but I'm really used to using Outlook and OE.

I was so accustomed to using the "ctrl+enter" to send emails, "ctrl+r" to reply... anyone know any good shortcuts for Notes?

I don't need a long list, just the shortcuts that are used on a daily basis.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-02, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
hit F5 alot
it works great!

f9 refreshes
and set it to double left click to close windows.. much more convenient when your digging through your emails, then having to hit esc

I actually support hundreds of users on r5.. any specific question?
Old 08-07-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey twikoff....

I got a couple questions about r5...

1) Is there any way to save the password so I don't have to enter it everytime I run the program?

2) I archive my inbox so it doesn't expire on the server. It seems to archive okay, but then the archive has an archive. Then that archive has an archive. I only set up one archive, but it somehow archives itself.
Old 08-07-02, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by UWSarge
Hey twikoff....

I got a couple questions about r5...

1) Is there any way to save the password so I don't have to enter it everytime I run the program?

2) I archive my inbox so it doesn't expire on the server. It seems to archive okay, but then the archive has an archive. Then that archive has an archive. I only set up one archive, but it somehow archives itself.
1. no, not that I know of.. unless its possible to have it setup inside your id file.. never heard of anyone doing it before

2. huh? are you using scheduled archive, or going in and hitting the archive now button.. when you want it to run?
I actually prefer to cut and paste to my archive.. that way I have better control over what is being moved.
Old 08-08-02, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

THanks for the replies. I knew about F5 and F9, but what is a shortcut to SEND the email? I hate having to click "send" all the time.

Also, what is the mouse equivlent to F9?

What is the keyboard shortcut to EXPAND ALL? What is SH + ?

Thanks!
Old 08-08-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

also, is there some way to use the scroller wheel on the mouse for all parts of Notes? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Another really annoying thing is if you press the wheel down it usually brings up a circle with two arrows pointing up and down to scroll with - this doesn't pop up in notes.

And is there a way to implement the space bar as a "Page down" key? Like how it is in OE and IE?

Finally, you know that PREVIEW PANE? I have to select it every time i open Notes up, is there a way to make it a default?

Thanks
Old 08-09-02, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by MitzEclipse
also, is there some way to use the scroller wheel on the mouse for all parts of Notes? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Another really annoying thing is if you press the wheel down it usually brings up a circle with two arrows pointing up and down to scroll with - this doesn't pop up in notes.

And is there a way to implement the space bar as a "Page down" key? Like how it is in OE and IE?

Finally, you know that PREVIEW PANE? I have to select it every time i open Notes up, is there a way to make it a default?

Thanks
For a new message hit Crtl-M

To fix the preview pane problem, go to you work space. Right Click on your email tile. Click Database --> Properties. Then click on the little rocket ship icon. Under "When opened in the Notes Client" choose "Restore as last viewed by user." VIOLA.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Another shortcut to use is this. Anytime you are in Notes hold down the ALT key. You will see a bunch of letter and numbers pop up all over the screen. Then just hit the corisponding number to launch the action.

Last edited by ShoeBoy; 08-09-02 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-09-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the CTRL+M and the holding down the ALT key - those are great!

Is there ANY shortcut to SEND an email??
Old 08-09-02, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the CTRL+M and the holding down the ALT key - those are great!

Is there ANY shortcut to SEND an email??
You answered your own question :-D
Hit Alt-1 to send an email.

And yes I am a keyboard shortcut freak like you
It's funny how many people don't believe you can navigate windows without a mouse.
Old 08-09-02, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sweet!!!

Yea, Notes has screwy shortcuts - not like the microsoft "standard" shortcuts.

...I mean, comeon' F9 for refresh??? It should be F5!
Old 08-09-02, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To fix the preview pane problem, go to you work space. Right Click on your email tile. Click Database --> Properties. Then click on the little rocket ship icon. Under "When opened in the Notes Client" choose "Restore as last viewed by user." VIOLA.
I just tried this trick and it didn't work. For some reason that option is greyed out. When i opened my LOCAL mail box, i was able to change this option. Does that mean the notes admins disabled that option?

THanks
Old 08-09-02, 06:12 PM

I just tried this trick and it didn't work. For some reason that option is greyed out. When i opened my LOCAL mail box, i was able to change this option. Does that mean the notes admins disabled that option?
THanks
Probably has it disabled, ask the admin about it. It does help that I am the admin for my company
Old 08-09-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shoeboy or anyone else -

Another quesiton about notes How do you change the order of the TABS (the different workspaces)?

I tried clicking and dragging them to a different order, but they won't move! Is there any other way?

Thanks
Old 08-10-02, 01:24 AM

Shoeboy or anyone else -

Another quesiton about notes How do you change the order of the TABS (the different workspaces)?

I tried clicking and dragging them to a different order, but they won't move! Is there any other way?

Thanks
Dunno about that one I messed around with it for a bit and didn't see a way to do it.
Old 08-10-02, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are so many "little" things that irritate me about Notes it's rediculous. Anyone know any shortcuts reply here! thanks
Old 08-11-02, 03:02 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Notes is indeed ridiculous, it took our admins here a long time before they figured out how to change everyones template to display the time you received the e-mail.

There are so many issues with it our messaging manager took a collection of all the issues/bugs compared with the ease of outlook. the one that annoys me the most is that if you have rules setup to place mail into folders on arrival, it tells you that you have a new mail, but the folder it's in does not change colour, nor does it indicate in anyway that you have a new mail, so you need to look in every folder.

1. Meetings regularly disappear with no explanation (Blackberry?)
2. Any scheduled meeting results in a message about it conflicting with an existing meeting, yet none exists.
3. Internet email sometimes comes in as "c.html" instead of visible text, or sometimes as attachments when the Internet emailís content is formatted with a different color or font-type.
4. Uncertain use of the templates provided (which is the most stable and which should we be using?)
5. Limited Rules functionality for filtering mails based on content, subject or sender
6. Meeting attendees don't show up on Blackberry calendar (for Notes users)
7. Can't sort email by time
8. Contacts from GAL don't come over very well (no address translation); users should delete contacts
9. Intermittent reports of being able to show free/busy times - unable to delete or reschedule some meetings
10. Inbox in Notes is not really a "folder"; folders disappear if users try to move folders into the Inbox (you can do this in Outlook, not in Notes)
11. Loss of Microsoft Office integration such as with Word or Excel
12. Loss of Wireless Calendar synchronization, and being able to accept/decline meeting invitations on Blackberry
13. Loss of Exchange Public Folder functionality for viewing Public Calendar events and sharing of public folder contacts
14. Type ahead in address-to is limited Notes canít appear to resolve addresses from NAB or personal book resolving can take a very long time because of size of NAB
15. Intermittent NDRs (Non-delivery reports) from sporadic addressing problems such as [email protected]
16. Client slows down desktop - or client is considerably slower than Outlook.
17. When client process nlnotes.exe is killed using Task Manager, Notes cannot be restarted. As a result, the whole desktop has to be restarted.
18. Clients have reported getting the "Red Screen of Death" requiring desktop reboot - causes yet unexplained - possible cause is when "too many" documents are open on the Notes toolbar -
19. Confusing dependencies between versions of client, template, mailbox server can lead to complex troubleshooting on the desktop
20. Miscellaneous product usability issues - such as being able to drag-drop between folders or inconsistent behavior of "show preview"
Old 08-11-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BadlyBrokenBoy
Notes is indeed ridiculous, it took our admins here a long time before they figured out how to change everyones template to display the time you received the e-mail.

*snip*

When I was looking for some documentation, one of the top search results from google was from theInterface Hall of Shame. Kinda funny to read through.
Old 08-11-02, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by twikoff

2. huh? are you using scheduled archive, or going in and hitting the archive now button.. when you want it to run?
I actually prefer to cut and paste to my archive.. that way I have better control over what is being moved.
I set mine up to archive everything after being 14 days old. I delete all the junk when it comes in, then the archive will get everything else 2 weeks later. The thing is, I only set this up on my Inbox, yet the archive seems to auto-archive itself although it has no schedule set up for it.
Old 08-12-02, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The interface hall of shame is a great link! haha, lotsa laughs. I should send that to my Notes admin
Old 08-12-02, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

get used to these key strokes:

ctrl-alt-del.

cranky.
Old 08-12-02, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got my Notes 4.66 set up so that I don't need to enter my password, but I don't remember how I set it up. I'll see if I can figure out how I did it.
Old 08-12-02, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i'm using version 6 release 2 and it's ok. but not nearly as intuitive as ms products.

cranky.
Old 08-12-02, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was told that there is no way to make it so you don't need to type in your password ALL THE TIME....

Anyone have any other shortcuts?
Old 08-12-02, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was told that there is no way to make it so you don't need to type in your password ALL THE TIME....
I haven't had to type mine in in over a year. Damn I gotta remember how it was done...
Old 08-12-02, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by crankyman
i'm using version 6 release 2 and it's ok. but not nearly as intuitive as ms products.

cranky.
yep.. but isnt it nice not to have to worry about dealing with every virus that comes out

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.