Reload this Page >

CD-RW media question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

CD-RW media question

Old 08-02-02, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD-RW media question

Hi All.
I'm new to DVD talk but would appreciate any educated input. I just purchased a Cendyne 32x12x40 CDRW drive (aka LiteOn) and for immediate purposes a few Sony CDRW blanks 4x speed. The Cendyne came with Nero 5 (I believe that's the correct version). In order for me to record to the CDRW's, I have to format them (which takes 40 to 50 minutes apiece). The drive will not recognize them any other way.

Is this normal? Do you always have to format CDRW's before use?

Forgive my ignorance,
Bygraceonly
Old 08-02-02, 06:22 PM

Bump

Help!
Old 08-02-02, 06:59 PM

Bump because I got the same drive this week. Can't beat $50 - a $50 rebate .

Sorry I can't help you as I've never burned a CD-RW. I always do CD-Rs becasue they are only about $0.10 a piece, making them disposable if I want to "rewrite."

By the way, I assume your drive came with a "blank" CD. Is that a CDR or RW.
Old 08-03-02, 08:10 AM

It's normal to take a long time to format a cd-rw. You only need to format them once, then they can be used and erased without the need to re-format.

With Nero you can burn a cd-rw like a normal cd-r to make a readable disc, but you won't be able to "drag and drop" files as if you formated the disc.
Old 08-03-02, 10:15 AM

agent2099
The CD that came with the drive was a CD-R if I'm not mistaken.
It did burn without formatting. I was wanting to use the RW format because my wife is a teacher and I wanted her to have room to change lesson plans and such easily.

daledude
So that does mean we'll have to format each RW to use it easily with data. OR is there a more efficient way to simply put text files on the disk?
Can you use the Nero software for text as well as music? Maybe use the file browser to add the files like you do the songs of a CD (although I haven't had time yet to experiment with all it's capabilities).

Last edited by bygraceonly; 08-03-02 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-03-02, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you using some sort of packet writing option with Nero?

All my cdrw's have come ready to use right out of the jewel case and it only takes a minute or so to "erase" one if I have to. Never had to format one.

However, if you are using packet writing software like Adaptec's Direct CD and InCd then I believe that you have to format that cdrw first, lose some space, in order to use that cdrw like a floppy disk.

I've never used packet writing software so i'm not sure. Good luck.

If you don't get any answers here you can go to:

alt.comp.periphs.cdr

on UseNet. Search it and you will probably get your answer.
Old 08-03-02, 02:50 PM

I am using InCD. Haven't been able to get the drive to recognize the CDRW otherwise. Guess I'll just have to keep playing with it.

Thanks.

If anyone has any easy fixes please feel free.
Old 08-04-02, 09:45 AM

You could just burn the disc like a normal cd-r and burn it in a few minutes. Nero will recognize the disc as a cd-rw and not permanently burn the disc.

I use packet writing software because in the long run it's quicker to be able to use the cd-rw like a disc drive rather then "burn" if every time. A lot of files that I copy are too big for a floppy but no where near 600 mb, and if I want to keep something long term I just use a cd-r.
Old 08-04-02, 12:34 PM

Thanks daledude. I guess I'll just keep formatting (as we do want to use it like a disc drive primarily).

One other question....

Anybody know why you lose so much available memory when you format a CDRW??

My 700MB CDRW/s that are formatted only show about 550MB available for storage in their properties. Just wondering.

Thanks
Old 08-04-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think that's about right. There will be an explanation somewhere in the README for your packet writing program i'm sure that explains the overhead present when formatting a cdrw.