Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Gamer looking for Insight on performance

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-01-02, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I finally got my new rig up and running last night. Here is where I need the insight. Just for kicks I loaded GTA3 last night expecting to do 1024x768 (I think) at 32 bit color, and have zero lag. Well I did get lag, and had to drop down to an 800x600 resolution to avoid lag.
Please look over my rig and tell me what you think I could do to increase performance. Will be OCing this weekend.

Abit AT7E
Gainward Gforce4 TI4200 with latest drivers from Gainward
Samsung pc2700 512mb
7200rpm Western Digital
AMD Athalon XP1900 with Agoga core
plenty of Quality power
XP Pro

Anyone have any thoughts on what I could do to increase my performance?
Old 08-01-02, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
If you look around you'll find many people with incredibly fast systems complaining about GTA3. It doesn't seem like anyone can run it at higher resolutions without the game dragging.

Try a different game and see if the performance is more like what you were expecting.

OCing should certainly help, though.
Old 08-01-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
The first thing I would do is ditch the Gainward drivers and download the latest Detonator drivers from Nvidia. Disable the "trails" in the video settings. A lot people also move their audio files to their HD (requires a hacked .exe) to prevent the stutter that occurs when changing radio stations(I don't do this as I don't have the playability problems).

I run GTA3 at 1152x864. "Trails" off, draw distance at maximum, EAX enabled, and I get very smooth gameplay. The only time I get any slowdown is during a rainstorm with lots of traffic(usually during a chase).

My system:

Abit KT7A-Raid
1.4Ghz T-Bird
512mb PC133
GF3 Ti200 (64mb)
Win98SE(until i absolutely have to upgrade!! )
etc....

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 08-01-02 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-01-02, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Somewhat silly question coming

I just got a new computer with a GF4 Ti 4200. I decided to format from XP back to Win2K. I then reinstalled the drivers for my video card (Dell included the drivers disc). I couldn't find the drivers at first for my system on the disc so I went to Nvidia's site to d/l them from there. I was having a little difficulty trying to find them...it didn't really say anthing like "download Ti4200 drivers here" (yes, it sometimes does have to be really blatant for me )

I would've just downloaded the Detonator drivers file if I hadn't found them on the Dell disc, but is there just a kind of all-in-one driver set for all the GF4 cards? Also, should I d/l the detonator file from Nvidia, or stick with the drivers I have for now?
Old 08-01-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
The Detonator drivers are pretty much all in one drivers. Most, including myself, see noticeable gains in stability and performance over the oem drivers.

Here's a link to the XP/2000 Detonator drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=windows2000
Old 08-01-02, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great! Thanks, I'll try it when I get home.
Old 08-01-02, 02:39 PM

will grab the new detonators tonight and see what happens. I will post a follow up tomorrow to let you guys know what sort of gains are achieved.
Old 08-02-02, 09:54 AM

Downloaded the drivers, and still only managed to obtain a fair amount of improvement. Still quite laggy on GTA3. Although I did score 10470 or something like that on the madonion test.

I think that I have a lot more tweaking to do.
Old 08-09-02, 10:31 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by SmackDaddy
The Detonator drivers are pretty much all in one drivers. Most, including myself, see noticeable gains in stability and performance over the oem drivers.

Can these detonator drivers be used for any video card?

Also, why not get 512 more MB of RAM? It's cheap.
Did you say how much memory your video card had?
Old 08-09-02, 02:39 PM

Well, not *any* video card, but any semi-recent nvidia-based card, yes. If you're running a card from a manufacturer that messed with the 'reference' design a lot, you might be better off sticking with their drivers, or you might loose some functionality.

The list of cards that the detonator series of drivers supports is:
TNT
TNT2/TNT2 Pro
TNT2 Ultra
TNT2 M64/M64 Pro
Vanta/Vanta LT
Aladdin TNT2
GeForce 256
GeForce2 Pro
GeForce2 GTS
GeForce2 MX/MX 400/MX 200/MX 100
GeForce2 Ti
GeForce2 Ultra
GeForce3
Geforce3 Ti 200/Ti 500
Quadro
Quadro DCC
Quadro2 MXR
Quadro2 Pro
Quadro2 EX
(from http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=IO_20011115_6804)

(Funnily enough, they haven't updated that page to include the GeForce 4's yet).