Reload this Page >

Video Card question.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Video Card question.

Old 07-27-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Video Card question.

The computer I am using right now has an outdated video card. The model is NVIDIA TNT Model 64 which I understand is 32 megs and several years old. Rest of the systems specs are fine for me 1.6 P4 512 PC2100 DDR 80G HD. My question is should I get a G force 4 TI4200 or just get a G force 3 for less money or is the TI4600 just too good to pass up. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 07-27-02, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go for the 4200. It is really the sweet spot price/performance wise. The 4600 is overkill, for a small performance increase over the 4200. You should be able to find a 4200 for about $160 on pricewatch. The GF3s are about $100 for the TI200- and the 4200 is far superior.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MzI0

There's a review of the 4200.
Old 07-27-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

go for the 4200 the the 4600 is not top of the line anymore so there is no reason to pay how much they want for it. The ti4200 is the best deal right now if you want to go cheaper there is always the radeon 9000 or the geforce3 but I wouldn't get anything lower than thouse b/c your going to want pixel shader support for future games.

Last edited by hypeiv; 07-27-02 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-27-02, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm running a 128 mb 4200 right now on my new setup and it's definitely nice. If I were you, though, I wouldn't buy a new card right now. Wait about two months. In a month the Radeon 9700 (new king of the hill) is going to come out and a month thereafter I believe nVidia is going to release their new card. I'm sure this will drive all other card's prices down. Just my opinion.
Old 07-27-02, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
I was going to ask about the new card coming out. I guess it might be good to wait a few months. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 07-27-02, 06:08 PM

Get a Ti 4200 or a Radeon 8500. Both are the best bang for the buck right now from their respective companies.
Old 07-27-02, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i just got a dell system during their super sale the other day. i paid the extra $100 to upgrade to the Geforce 4 4200. i would say this is the card to go with for the next few months. it outperforms the radeon 8500 by a significant amount. true ATI's 9700 will be out next month, but we're talking $399 for it. and Nvidia's NV30 chip won't be out until december at the earliest, possibly next year. considering you can grab a 4200 for well under $200 that is the way to go...unless money is no object and you can blow $400 on a video card and you don't mind that product cycles are a mere 6 months these days.
Old 07-27-02, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BigDaddy
I was going to ask about the new card coming out. I guess it might be good to wait a few months. Thanks for the info guys.
remember in another few months newer cards are coming out- of course after that a newer one will be just around the corner.

Of course by then It is time to get a new cpu and MB

I feel that if you need a new card to play games right now then you should buy the best card that will last you for a while right now.

waiting can turn into a long wait- forever waiting for the last great upgrade

when you could have been playing games or using your computer to its potential right now.

I never wait too long and always try to buy the best price performance system upgrade that I can at the time I decide I need it.

Right now that is the 4200 IMO
Old 07-27-02, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gcribbs

remember in another few months newer cards are coming out- of course after that a newer one will be just around the corner.

Of course by then It is time to get a new cpu and MB

I feel that if you need a new card to play games right now then you should buy the best card that will last you for a while right now.

waiting can turn into a long wait- forever waiting for the last great upgrade

when you could have been playing games or using your computer to its potential right now.

I never wait too long and always try to buy the best price performance system upgrade that I can at the time I decide I need it.

Right now that is the 4200 IMO
So true.