Reload this Page >

Roadrunner/Cable TV question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-23-02, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to get Roadrunner because DSL is not available in my area and they have no target date for it. Without going into detail I would rather not have anyone looking too closely at my cable hookup. I have never altered my cable, stolen it, or bribed installers, but I was given a deal no longer offered and I know many times letting a sleeping dog lie is the best policy. I don't know if any changes will disqualify from continuing on an old plan. Does getting Roadrunner mean they will automatically check the status of the cable going to the TV?
Old 07-23-02, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depending on where you live, they may require that you let them come to your house and install the "modem". I know that TimeWarner here in Cincinnati makes a kit available for customers who want to install it themselves. However, they prefer you to let them do it (of course). But the option is still there for you to do it yourself.

If you are able to do this on your own, it's actually very easy. Basically you just install a splitter on your main cable line and run one cable to your cable box/TV and the other to the RR modem. To activate your service, they have to approve your modem's MAC address (long number unique to that modem - these are the same kinds of numbers found on Ethernet cards) from your home phone number. If their technicans do this, they call (from your phone) into the TimeWarner RR center and read off this number. I'm guessing it would be the same if you are able to do it yourself.

So my advice would be to just call your local TimeWarner number and see if self-installation is an option. Like I said, I know it's available here in Cincinnati, OH, but I'm not sure about other areas.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-02, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So if they install it, they put your Modem number in? thus can you use a Hub to split it?
Old 07-24-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
So if they install it, they put your Modem number in? thus can you use a Hub to split it?
A splitter should work just fine.

They may require to subscribe to digital cable. If the deal that you currently have is using regular cable, then they may have to change you to digital cable. Just a thought.

Old 07-24-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

basic cable with roadrunner works just fine. No need for digital cable.
Old 07-24-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some misinformation in this thread.

I have T-W cable. Chances are, any change in your service will cause your entire bill to be reviewed, regardless if they come out to the house or not. The tech that comes to install the modem may or may not notice the missing blockers on your line, or he might not bother to check what you have with what you are supposed to have. The people back at headquarters might notice the "old deal" on your account and send some tech out after the fact to "fix the glitch". Then again, they may not spot it or may not care. It's a gamble. To me, it would be worth it for the extra benefit of Road Runner service. If you think about it though, I'm sure you can come up with a few ways to get around them removing your "great deal" service.

Jack, you can use a hub to split it, but you'll have to pay for each individual IP. It's currently about $15 per extra IP. Financially, it makes a lot more sense to go buy a $50 router and use that instead. Also, the cable modem tends to remember MAC addresses, so if you have say, two computers that are only on line part of the time and you buy one IP to share between them, you're going to have problems.

Digital cable is apparently available everywhere that RR is, but RR is not available where digital cable is not available, so you could make the argument that digital cable is required to get RR, but you don't have to buy it. I currently have the most basic service I can buy (use DSS for television) and RR. They actually sell a package that has no cable and only RR for Motorola employees (has something to do with getting reimbursed by the company), but it costs the same as basic plus RR, so it doesn't make sense to buy it.

Go lucky, you can use a splitter to split the cable signal, but if you use one to split the cable signal (not sure this is possible), you'd have to have a cable modem on each end to actually use it. It would be prohibitively expensive even if T-W would let you do it.

Your best bet to split the cable modem is to spend $50 on a router/firewall, and run cat 5 cable to any computers that need to access the internet.
Old 07-24-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just checked and they do not allow self installation. I even went to one of their local "dealers" and they won't sell the cable modems seperately. Digital Cable is not neccessary, they will do it on any plan. The extra $20 a month for RR is definately worth it, the extra $40 on top of that for the extra channels I get may not be, that's $700 a year.
Old 07-24-02, 05:19 PM

That's unfortunate about the self-installation. I agree that with an addition to your service, your entire bill/subscription will be reviewed (or at least it should be).

I use the Netgear FVS318 ProSafe VPN Firewall (with 8 port switch), but you don't have to go that far. A popular model is the Linksys BEFSR41 EtherFast Router(with 4 port switch). It retails for around $80, and a few of my friends have this exact model. They all seem to like it and have had few (if any) problems. The reason I went with the Netgear model is for the VPN features. Linksys also has a VPN model, but I've always used Netgear - just a personal preference really.

I know both have DHCP features (if you would be so inclined to use it), and the Netgear includes SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) - which helps to prevent DoS (Denial of Service) attacks.

I'm suprised that RR is only $20/month in your area. Here (Cincinnati, OH) they have a deal where they give you your first three months for half-price ($22.50), but then your rate goes to full-price on the fourth month of service. So that sounds like a deal.

Just for clarification, the MAC address I was talking about in my previous post is actually the MAC address of the cable modem itself. I thought that they would still have to report this number to the company (since it's how they identify you on the network), but I could be mistaken. I have an older Toshiba modem (one that doesn't have a USB port). In Cincinnati, they allow you to use two computers by default. If you want to use three or more, they say you have to purchase additional IP addresses from them. So like einTier said, the best way is to just use one IP they give you and install a router (to create your own LAN).

Last edited by BartleyR7; 07-24-02 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-24-02, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Lampei
basic cable with roadrunner works just fine. No need for digital cable.
Good point I have heard stories of the cable company conning people into upgrading to digital thinking they need too for cable modem...
Old 07-24-02, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BartleyR7
That's unfortunate about the self-installation. I agree that with an addition to your service, your entire bill/subscription will be reviewed (or at least it should be).

I'm suprised that RR is only $20/month in your area. Here (Cincinnati, OH) they have a deal where they give you your first three months for half-price ($22.50), but then your rate goes to full-price on the fourth month of service. So that sounds like a deal.

RR is actually $40 month, I was referring to the upcharge over what I am paying my ISP right now. The total difference would be over $60 month over and above what I am paying already.
Old 07-25-02, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jim, I have RR in Albany, NY and we also have cable in the house. I dont pay for the cable, so that bill goes to one person and I get the RR bill. totally seperate account numbers, bills, and everything. Maybe try an alternate spelling or nickname to distinquish the accounts when setting up and TW should keep everything seperate. the only thing is that TW sometimes offers deals on buying everything if its all part of the same account.

or

Earthlink Cable might be available to you (basically same thing as RR and runs on RR lines) and its only $41.95/mo. 3 dollars less/mo.
I'm actually thinking of swiching to get the first month with Earthlink free too.

Good luck.
Old 07-25-02, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Earthlink might be a possibility but I checked and the billing and installation are still done by TW. But it is possible that because they would only be executing an install order with flat fee billing, they would be less likely to check out my cable situation.
Old 07-25-02, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
When I loved in Austin I had Road Runner as well. I first got it 1/99 and only had basic cable since I had DirectV. The price was 55 a month as opposed to 45 a month for a person with normal cable. My total bill was almost 70 month with taxes and basic cable. I now live north of town and have Cox Cable and my total bill per month with tax is 42.95. Road Runner was a little faster but not an option where I am at now.
Old 07-26-02, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JimRochester
Earthlink might be a possibility but I checked and the billing and installation are still done by TW. But it is possible that because they would only be executing an install order with flat fee billing, they would be less likely to check out my cable situation.
As a side note, I recommend Earthlink cable. I got it installed about 2 weeks ago. 2000/384 is really fast, and they don't care if you cancel cable TV and get sat.
Old 07-26-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I called Earthlink, I figured that was going to be the only way. I checked with DirecTV but they were $600 for the equipment and another $60 month. Might as well just take my chances.
Old 08-07-02, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I got my cable hookup through Time Warner via Earthlink and it took the guy about 6 minutes to analyze my cable and shut off a crap load of channels. So I'm excited about getting direct connect but kind of bummed my great deal on cable is gone. Now I'd have to resort to something less than honest to get my channels back.
Old 08-07-02, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to install for them, if you have ANY kind of questions let me know.

Shadow

Last edited by shadowhawk2020; 08-07-02 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-09-02, 09:58 AM
Cool New Member

Man that sucks you lost your channels!!! I had basic cable and for some reason was getting several movie channels for free. I got RR and I still had the movie channels.... I've since upgraded to digital cable, still with RR, and I still have the movie channels for which I don't pay for. Guess I just lucked out! Too bad.
Old 08-09-02, 10:00 AM
Cool New Member

Is this your first time with high speed internet? Try going back to dial-up, you may forget about those channels and claim them as an acceptable loss for such a fast connection.
Old 08-09-02, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have high speed at work although it's usually pretty slow. I decided to get the channels back but now it'll cost $46 month vs. the $7 month it was costing. Cable modem is great, the first thing I did was download a few songs which used to take 15 - 20 minutes at 56K. Now I can do several at once and it only takes a couple minutes.

Shadowhawk, thanks for the offer. Got any good leads on some specialty tools?