Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

If I have Quicktime Pro 5.0.2, is there a way to upgrade to QT6 without paying again?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

If I have Quicktime Pro 5.0.2, is there a way to upgrade to QT6 without paying again?

Old 07-20-02, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I said, I have Quicktime Pro 5.0.2 which I paid $30 for a little over a month ago, and just learned about the new QT 6. I tried downloading it and putting in my old registration number but it says it's for an 'old version' or whatever. Does this mean, even though I paid them $30 a month ago for Quicktime Pro, they'll want another $30 just to upgrade to ver. 6?
Old 07-20-02, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think that you might be SOL. Perhaps you can go to their website somewhere and request a new registration number, or just don't upgrade.
Old 07-21-02, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in the same boat - it's a pain having pro, then having to "pro" again on the new version....
Old 07-21-02, 12:27 PM

Unless I find a way of getting it for free, I'm just going to pass on ver. 6. Kind of pisses me off, as because I paid for Quicktime Pro earlier I now can't even get the free features of v6 while keeping Pro. What a--holes.
Old 07-21-02, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought pro for v. 3 and it worked on to v.4 but after that, no dice.

I bought pro mainly because it allowed you to save .mov files, but with all the sites that stream and wont let you download and with streambox vcr I saw no reason to upgrade back to pro.

what are extra features in pro nowadays, anything really worthwhile for the $$$?
Old 07-21-02, 09:25 PM

I bought pro mainly because it allowed you to save .mov files, but with all the sites that stream and wont let you download and with streambox vcr I saw no reason to upgrade back to pro.
I never really used Pro to download otherwise undownloadable Quicktime videos. All you need is to click on 'view source', a little html knowledge, and a downloader program.
what are extra features in pro nowadays, anything really worthwhile for the $$$?
It lets you edit videos.
Old 07-21-02, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: If I have Quicktime Pro 5.0.2, is there a way to upgrade to QT6 without paying ag

Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
Like I said, I have Quicktime Pro 5.0.2 which I paid $30 for a little over a month ago, and just learned about the new QT 6. I tried downloading it and putting in my old registration number but it says it's for an 'old version' or whatever. Does this mean, even though I paid them $30 a month ago for Quicktime Pro, they'll want another $30 just to upgrade to ver. 6?
There is no upgrade. Even if you bought your 5.0 Pro key one day before the release of QT6, it will not work with 6, and you'll have to buy a new 6 Pro key.
Old 07-21-02, 11:47 PM

Anyone know the address of Apple HQ?