Reload this Page >

Notebook suggestions

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Notebook suggestions

Old 07-07-02, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Notebook suggestions

I'm planning on buying my sister a notebook computer before she starts pharamacy school in the fall. Ideally, I want the system to last four years, but we all know how long systems last.

I've used Dell systems at work, and I love them ... never had a hardware problem. (Software is installed by corporate mandate, so I can't comment on that)

Here is what I found... I'm looking for comments.

Inspiron 8200
Processor: Mobile Pentium® 4 Processor,2.0 GHz-M,15.0 UXGA
Memory: 256MB,DDR,266M,2DIMM
Hard Drive: 30GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
Fixed CD/DVD Drives: 16X CD-RW with Roxio's Easy CD Creator®
Video Card: 64MB DDR 4XAGP NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go™ 3D Video Incredible Graphics
Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options: 3 Year Limited Warranty plus 3 Year At-Home Service
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Bundle: Upgrade to Microsoft®Office XP Small Business w/Money 2002 and Educate Enhanced Productivity
Modem: Internal 56K Modem
Network Adapters: Integrated Network Card
Floppy Drive: Floppy Drive

Total Cost: $2,837.00

Again, the only reason I'm looking at Dell is because I've used their systems in the past, and have not had ANY problems with them. I know that if I go with another manufactuer, I can get a lower price, but I'd be taking a bit of a risk with the hardware.

Also, I really don't feel like dealing with Best Buy. When I'm spending over $2k I want some service ... and I know BB won't give it to me.
Old 07-07-02, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey n00b ... do a SEARCH:

Notebook recommendations

Laptop recommendations
Old 07-07-02, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, if you are going to spend that kind of money, make sure you opt for the full 3 year warrenty. I didn't when I bought my dell laptop, and I got hosed. A few weeks after my 1 year warrenty ended, my screen started going bad. For the love of GOD, don't try to deal with dell once your warrenty is over!

I got transfered to like 6 different people until finally someone just sent me to "spare parts". They said they thought all I needed was a new screen, which would cost around $400! Not only that, but the wouldn't even consider installing it. They were going to send me the parts and make me fix it myself!

Other than that, I've been pretty happy with my Dell. Do you really think you need a 8200, though? Aren't those rather big and bulky? Whatever you get, you'll probably want to do a format and reinstall of the op. sys as soon as you get it. I was always bummed about how slow my laptop seemed (it was a P3, 850 mhz) but the other day I formatted and installed XP, and now the thing just flies! It must be all that extra crap Dell installed...
Old 07-07-02, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I no many will laugh at me but get her an Ibook or TIbook. You want to last and anyone who knows mac stuff knows that there products last, more stable, usually better battery life, and there software stays compatible longer then pc's do . I am not a mac whore I have more pc experience then mac, but I wouldn't think twice about getting my Ibook again over a windows based laptop.

Now this is the I book so the screen is a little smaller, and vid card isn't as big, but that vid card on yours seems over kill unless your sister is a hardcore gamer and can't go hours with playing Quake 3 or Counterstrike. Also if she is going to use the Office program a lot you might be interested to know that most people consider Microsoft Office vX to be better then XP, and have feature not available to pc users (what escapes me know)

Here are your specs for one that I made on apple's site and the cost is 2147 ( I had a link but I was logged in and didn't want to log out and build it again so you get enough info from my post anyways any ?'s ask)

G4 700 mhz
256 mb ram
ATI mobility 16mb video card (not a beast but hasn't really let me down either considering it's a laptop)
30gb hdd
8x dvdrom/8/8/24x cdrw
Airport card (wireless 842.11b ethernet)
3 year warranty

I have basically this system from a year ago so this one is better, but I love it especially the fact that it has a 5 hour advertised battery life, which is basically 2:40 for dvd watching, and over 3, 3.5 internet browsing and light computing. Also a great feature for macs is when you put them to sleep it's much better then windows it can stay asleep and run off the battery for almost 2 weeks and you open the lid and within seconds you are back where you where which is very nice feature. I bought the AV adapter($35) for mine and it is real nice for watching those pesky disneys that don't play on mine, and when you are outputting to anouther source it will automatically go to sleep once you have the movie botted up so you can close the lid and basically run it like a desktop with some external keyboard and mouse. Which is also nice when traveling. You are also getting a userfriendly operating system, built in Firewire, 2 usb (not 2.0 yet), ethernet, wireless ethernet, and video out. Commercial over I just wanted to give you something to think about.

Last edited by Spicollidriver1; 07-07-02 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-08-02, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ bump to the top
Old 07-09-02, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I take it you rejected my idea. That's ok not everyone can accept a mac.
Old 07-09-02, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Spicollidriver1
I take it you rejected my idea. That's ok not everyone can accept a mac.
I'm pretty sure my sister doesn't want to deal with the PC/Mac thing while trying to battle through pharamacy school.
Old 07-13-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ back to the top.

Suggestions?