Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Newsgroups

Old 07-06-02, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Newsgroups

For the life of me, I do not know how to add new Newsgroups to my Outlook Express (is that the right program?). In fact, I think this is mostly because I don't know the correct address to find the newsgroups.

Can someone provide me with a list of working newsgroups and how to add them.

Thanks
Old 07-06-02, 07:01 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The list of "working" groups depends on the news server. It can be tens of thousands of groups long....

.... but from what you say it sounds more like you need help with the software itself. Here is a site: http://www.okinfoweb.com/moe/news/index.htm

And if you search on this forum for either newsgroups or usenet you'll find more info on software and news servers generally. Outlook Express is what you get free but there are "better" programs out there.
Old 07-06-02, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by benedict
The list of "working" groups depends on the news server. It can be tens of thousands of groups long....

.... but from what you say it sounds more like you need help with the software itself. Here is a site: http://www.okinfoweb.com/moe/news/index.htm

And if you search on this forum for either newsgroups or usenet you'll find more info on software and news servers generally. Outlook Express is what you get free but there are "better" programs out there.
I think that is what I am looking for... a NEWS SERVER.

usenet?
Old 07-06-02, 07:21 PM
Mod Emeritus

Usenet is a name for the whole newsgroups shebang.

Some people use that term, hence my suggesting you include it in any search of this forum for the past posts on the subject.

The people who provide your internet access may well have a help page that gives all the relevant info concerning their server names etc. FYI I know there were threads here on "free" and "pay-for" news servers:

Last edited by benedict; 07-06-02 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-06-02, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by benedict
Usenet is a name for the whole newsgroups shebang.

Some people use that term, hence my suggesting you include it in any search of this forum for the past posts on the subject.

The people who provide your internet access may well have a help page that gives all the relevant info concerning their server names etc. FYI I know there were threads here on "free" and "pay-for" news servers:
I have been going through some of the old posts here on newsgroups and I have found that, I believe, my news server ([email protected]) seems to not be working. I downloaded one of the newsgroup softwares listed (Free Agent) and good not connect. I got an error saying could not connect to HOST. I searched Rogers site and they seem to provide no info on newsgroup and such. I am thinking that, recently, they did some kind of overhaul on their service and mayhap that messed up the hosting.

Then again, I probably have no idea what I am talking about because the whole newsgroup thing always confused me.

Thoughts?
Old 07-06-02, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Figured it out. It was a problem with the settings. Something to do with adding nttp. Working now.

Thanks benedict.
Old 07-06-02, 07:52 PM
Mod Emeritus

http://transition.rogershelp.com/newng1.html

If the info at that site is still current (and it may not be) it looks like you should be entering nntp in that part of Forté (Free) Agent that calls for a news server name.

FYI a quick search for Rogers-related info suggested that they don't seem to have the highest reputation....

.... in one of those earlier threads I think I recommended a free service for text-based newsgroups. And Startide mentioned a free service for binaries. I've not been using newsgroups for some months now - after 5-6 years of regular "newsreading" - so I am not sure if either service is still current. Perhaps someone else will post, or your own experiments will pay off....
Old 07-06-02, 07:53 PM
Mod Emeritus

look at the times on our respective posts!