Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Important programs keep disabling! (AntiVirus, ZoneAlarm...)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-06-02, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran Housecall and it couldn't locate any virus on my computer so I have no idea why my Norton's Anti-virus and Zone Alarm keep shutting down! Someone please help me!

BTW, my OS is Windows XP 'home edition'.

Last edited by MoViE FaNaTiC; 07-06-02 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-06-02, 07:07 PM

It sure sounds like you are infected with the Klez worm that has been making the rounds for a while now. It probably kills the Housecall scan as soon as it appears just like it does to NAV and ZA. I suggest you download and run the fix/removal tool for this virus from the link below.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html

Hope that helps.

Jamie
Salem, OR
Old 07-06-02, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by JT_97Neon
It sure sounds like you are infected with the Klez worm that has been making the rounds for a while now. It probably kills the Housecall scan as soon as it appears just like it does to NAV and ZA. I suggest you download and run the fix/removal tool for this virus from the link below.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html

Hope that helps.

Jamie
Salem, OR
Just tried it and it didn't detect the Klez virus.

Last edited by MoViE FaNaTiC; 07-06-02 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-07-02, 11:26 AM

bump
Old 07-07-02, 03:31 PM

Do these programs shut down after boot, or upon boot? In other words, when you boot are they running, and then just shut down as you are on the computer, or do you have to enable them after each boot?

Check to make sure that ZA and NAV are set to run on boot within each program (ZA has a check box, and NAV needs to be set within the virus-scan properties menu, I think).

Next, run MSCONFIG and go to the STARTUP tab - ensure that these two programs are checked to load on startup - ZA might have a few components to it (one noteable is True Vector Service, or something like that).

Now if they are shutting down while the PC is operating, it sounds like something is running amok on your machine - so it wouldn't be a bad idea to run MSCONFIG and see what is set to run on boot anyway. Also, after boot, do a CTRL-ALT-DEL and see what is running at that moment as well - anything that looks suspicious or unknown to you might be the culprit.

One more thing - if you haven't already done so - update NAV to the latest virus defs and run a complete system scan.