Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help for a Newbee?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help for a Newbee?

Old 07-06-02, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help for a Newbee?

Hi. I just got a Pioneer DVD-106S and also windvd v4.0. All is working fine, but when I play a DVD most of the time the sound echo's a bit and the picture continually jumps (seems to freeze for a sec, play for a sec etc). I opened windows task manager and when I start playing a DVD it goes streight to 100% in the CPU usage which I think maybe the problem.
System info:
IBM Aptiva 2199 100
AMD K6-2/448Mhz processor with 3D now, 316MB of Ram, SiS530
Windows XP Home Edition
I have a direct connection to the internet on cable, running black ice firewall, norton 2002.
That's all I can see.....if any other info needed, let me know.
I was wondering what I may be able to do to correct this problem? I use to have a program called "End it all" that stopped all running applications to burn CD's with win98, but can't seem to find it now. Would a program like this help? Anyone know of one?
I had the same sort of problem like this when I downloaded the divx patch to play .divx movies, but solved it by using WMP2 to view the vid's and doing this:
In Media Player 2: go to FILE - Properties - Advanced
Then double click on DivX Decoder Filter
Wondering if there was anything like this that would help in windvd. I tried a few diff options and settings but didn't seem to help. Any advice would be much appriciated.
Thanx, Cam.
Click on Default.
Old 07-06-02, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm guessing that your processor and graphics card might be the problems. K6-2s are quite an old processor, nowadays. Also, your graphics card doesn't look like it is powerful enough to do the "on-the-fly" dvd processing, which probably contributes to the choppiness.

But really, that system is almost an antique, and I wouldn't recommend putting any real money into updating any components; you can get a brand new system for what it would cost you to slightly upgrade your current one.

(But, if you want to try some stuff, you can go ahead and shut down Norton, Black Ice, and probably quite a few other non-essential programs that XP is probably running that you don't even need. Press "Ctrl + Alt + Delete" for a list of the processes running on your system, and how much CPU and Memory they are using. )
Old 07-06-02, 01:06 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with TheMadMonk. Your CPU probably isn't powerful enough for software DVD decoding. I rarely run across a K6-2 anymore and I'm not sure how it equates to a 366MHz P2 which is pretty much at the low end for DVD playing.

Here are two things you can try. First, make sure DMA is enabled for your DVD drive. I believe XP does not give you an area to set it in the OS rather it relies on your BIOS recognizing that your drive can use DMA. Try setting your drive to "Auto" in your BIOS. You could also try explicitly setting some DMA modes for it if Auto doesn't work.

The other thing to try is PowerDVD. Get a trial version from www.gocyberlink.com. It requires much less CPU power than WinDVD.
Old 07-07-02, 08:13 AM

TheMadMonk, since I've had this Pc, I've increases the ram, put a Cd burner in, an extra 40GB drive, winXP etc, bloody things only 2 years old. Go's to show you just how soon they become an old system. What I was going to do was get a new Mother Board with extra PCI slots (I think they were)....was thinking of pentium 4, so I could put a vid card in that would suppoet 2 monitors, and using the old Mother Board as a PC to play games on. I can pick up a Pentium 4 Mother Board for about $140.00 (have to check out how good it is though) and was going to put a new vid card in. Please advise if this is the best way to go or not? I was thinking of building my own system with some good gear in it, my Mother Board only has about 3 or 4 white slots, and what I'm led to believe I need one with about 4 grey (PCI?) slots. Then I can put the good vid cards etc in it. I already have a tower, hard drive, keyboard, mouse, speakers and monitor so i figure this is the best way to go instead of buying a new PC.
I welcome all advice.
Thanx, Cam.
Old 07-07-02, 08:19 AM

X, tried PowerDVD and is a bit better but still the same sort of problem. I think it is my PC, haven't bothered shutting down tasks as I thing I need more power. As last thread please advise if a new motherboard and video card might do the trick.
Thanx, Cam
Old 07-07-02, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You could try getting a MPEG Decodeder card. They're pretty cheap now-a-days (around $30 on pricewatch)
Old 07-07-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by crowe
[B]What I was going to do was get a new Mother Board with extra PCI slots (I think they were)....was thinking of pentium 4, so I could put a vid card in that would suppoet 2 monitors, and using the old Mother Board as a PC to play games on.

I can pick up a Pentium 4 Mother Board for about $140.00 (have to check out how good it is though) and was going to put a new vid card in. Please advise if this is the best way to go or not?

I was thinking of building my own system with some good gear in it, my Mother Board only has about 3 or 4 white slots, and what I'm led to believe I need one with about 4 grey (PCI?) slots. Then I can put the good vid cards etc in it.

so i figure this is the best way to go instead of buying a new PC.
I welcome all advice.
Most "mobos" (motherboards) today usually have about 4-5 PCI slots (the white ones) these are for your modem, network card, sound card, etc, and one brown AGP Accelerated Graphics Port) for your video card. One other type is a long black "ISA" slot, which is outdated, and you will find maybe one of these at most on newer mobos.

As far as using your old one to play games on, as long as you are happy with the games you have, and never plan to play any new games, that would probably work, but today's new, advanced 3-d games simply won't work in a playable state on your old pc.

I still say your best is a new pc. While it can be fun, rewarding, and educational upgrading and tweaking your pc, with the state of technological advance, it is often best to just get a new pc. My opinion is to the check the "hot deals" section of this board, and visit "www.techbargains.com", and look for someone to post a really good deal.

This is what I did about 4 months ago: Someone posted a deal for a Dell Dimension 4400, with Pentium 4 - 1.6 Gigahertz processor, 128 Megabyte DDR (double data rate) SdRam (which i have since upgraded to 640 meg), Geforce2 MX video card, 40 Gig hard drive, free Cd-Rw or DVD drive upgrade, modem, network card, sound card, and WindowsXP Home, which came to a total of $495 dollars (after rebates, coupons, and free shipping).

(This deal is no longer available, but you can read about it here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=188062

I (and many other visitors to this board) jumped on this deal, because it featured and $100 dollar rebate, free shipping (which usually costs $95 from Dell), and a $50 coupon. The only drawback to this deal, was that it did not include a monitor (which I was glad about, since I already have a good LCD monitor.)

So, in summary, I am all for "upgrading" systems that are just slightly out of date, but when you come down to buying a new mobo, and new processor, which then makes you have to buy all new RAM, that works with your new mobo, and you want a new video card, too, it is often a better idea to just get a new pc, especially when you have the power of groups like this to help you find a great deal, and a bit of patience.

Last edited by TheMadMonk; 07-07-02 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-07-02, 05:33 PM

TheMadMonk, thanks for your reply and avice....I will find it very handy and might look for a deal like you got. Thanks for the link too. Now just have to look around.