Reload this Page >

Registry Cleaner???

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Registry Cleaner???

Old 07-05-02, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Registry Cleaner???

Sure, it'd just be easier to format. But I don't want to have to backup everything now.
I'm running Win 98SE. I was wondering if there were any good reg cleaner software??? Anybody try Norton CleanSweep??? or any other software? I have a lot of old reg files, but I am not sure of a safe way to select which to delete them.
Thanks!
Old 07-06-02, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Microsoft used to have a utility called Regclean. It saves the changes so you can undo if things goes wrong.

Blast me an email if you want it.
Old 07-06-02, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by zuffy
Microsoft used to have a utility called Regclean. It saves the changes so you can undo if things goes wrong.

Blast me an email if you want it.
Thanks, Zuffy.

Are you talking about the RegClean that comes with Win 95, and is not available on all later Win versions.

Or was it just some freeware program. I think I've seen free downloads of it. I want to get rid of all the invalid registry keys safely. Since there are quite a few in MSConfig start up folder, but they are unchecked but I want to get rid of them.
Old 07-06-02, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about. Never had a problem with it, and I use it at work quite often. Just don't use it for the new OS's like W2K and XP.
Old 07-06-02, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, I dl'd regclean from this site http://www.createwindow.com/wininfo/regclean.htm and ran it. It said it found and fixed errors. I've not had any problems after rebooting.
But... I still see the old programs (in regedit and msconfig startup) that I uninstalled a few weeks ago. I've already deleted those old folders in from the programs and did the add/remove thing.
Old 07-07-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know exactly how Regclean work but it's working for me. Another thing, even though you delete almost everything in your registry, it's not gonna get smaller. The registry in Win98 do not shrink, it will only expand.
Old 07-07-02, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by zuffy
I don't know exactly how Regclean work but it's working for me. Another thing, even though you delete almost everything in your registry, it's not gonna get smaller. The registry in Win98 do not shrink, it will only expand.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I don't see how RegClean "fixes" the registry. But if it says it did, then I guess that's a good thing. I suppose I can live with a few old uninstalled programs files in the reg.
Old 07-08-02, 12:40 PM

Try this... this does exactly what you're looking for:

http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/regcleaner.shtml
Old 07-08-02, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WepaMan
Try this... this does exactly what you're looking for:

http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/regcleaner.shtml
WOW!!! I just used this program and manually removed the programs I didn't want in the reg and restarted. It works GREAT! No problems. The old files are finally gone! Take that Real Player and Netscape!

Thank you, WepaMan! Thank you very much!