Zone Alarm & Other Security Programs...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-04-02, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey All,

I need to know what program(s) most people use for their computers. I have a cable modem and I am running Zone Alarm Pro. I recently upgraded my copy, because it was out of date and I don't have the reg. code, so I am running on "trial" right now (for 30 days). So I need to either buy a new copy or get another program. I wanted to know what other OTTERS use, then I will make my decision.

-pedagogue
Old 07-04-02, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I run my DSL modem into a linux firewall/router (It runs IPCOP)before running it out to the network.

Then I use the freeware "Tiny Firewall" on my WinXP machine, mostly to catch any programs that are trying to make an outgoing connection that I'm not aware of.

I was using Zone Alarm before but kept getting some nasty BSOD's that were resulting from the Zone Alarm engine getting hosed up.
Old 07-04-02, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk God

read www.grc.com to see why zone alarm is the software firewall worth having

then read www.grcsucks.com to see all the holes in steve's explainations

then go out and buy yourself a 50$ cable router with a hardware firewall included
Old 07-05-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks Twikoff. I was leaning towards a router after reading some reviews. My zone alarm is also pretty fickle about some of the programs i'm running. When my g/f uses my computer she gets annoyed by all of the Zone Alarm pop ups (i have it on relatively high security, so I get notified for most things)

-pedagogue

ps. Any good deals out there on a router?