Reload this Page >

WMP and Winamp take forever to start.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-03-02, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recenty had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows 98 SE. Everything worked fine until a few days ago. Now when I click on Windows Media Player it takes literally 5 min from the time I click on it for it to start. I reinstalled Winamp last night and it does the same thing. It doesn't matter if I click on the start bar or the ap icon. Even if I go to the RUN command and enter it, it still takes 5 min. Anyone know what is wrong? WMP did this before I reformatted to, but this is the first time with Winamp.

Duron 1GHz
320 MB SDRAM
40 gig Maxtor HD
Biostar MB
Toshiba DVD
S&F CD-R
Windows 98 SE
Old 07-05-02, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know, but mine has been doing exactly the same thing for about 3 weeks.

It started about the time that I d/l the divx player - though I'm not sure if that's the problem or not. I unistalled divx, but it didn't fix the problem.

THe dixx player was even worse though, it would take 45 minutes to an hour before it would start playing.
Old 07-06-02, 03:11 AM

What did you change if anything a few days ago when it worked?
WMP has always been a lil slow on mine also, but winamp is a lightning bolt.
Old 07-08-02, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I did download Divx about the same time the problem with WMP started the first time. But I haven't downloaded Divx since I reformatted. And I've never had any probs with Winamp until now. I just basicly have no other programs installed but Win 98. Guess there was just a problem with the install. Also after the reformat my onboard sound on the motherboard stopped working so I had to buy a cheap soundcard. I don't know if there are is a problem WMP working with the drivers of the soundcard or what? I'm going to reformat my HD again and reinstall WMP to see if that fixes it. And I though building my own PC would stop my PC problems.....