Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

DSL, Firewalls, etc.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DSL, Firewalls, etc.

Old 07-03-02, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DSL, Firewalls, etc.

First off, please excuse me if I sound totally ignorant. I just recently got DSL and knew that I most likely needed a Firewall. So, I downloaded the free version of Zone Alarm and had a lot of trouble with it, some sort of conflict with my modem (could connect, but browser would not display any pages - even with my original 56k modem). I currently have it uninstalled and everything is working fine. How vital is it that I have a firewall? This is just my personal home computer, does that make a difference? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-03-02, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
To me it's VERY important because I do alot of online buying, banking transactions, paying bills, etc... I also have some "stuff" on my PC that I would like to keep to myself. I'd say if you don't do anything that requires you to give your personal info, I don't think you have to have a firewall. Just make sure you run a good anti-virus and update it as much as possible. If you just surf around and chat n stuff like that, you don't need the firewall.
Old 07-04-02, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would definately get one. I am running Zone Alarm right now and I like it...though I am having a problem loading up Yahoo Games. It says Java is disabled...and it isn't. Beyond that...I like it.

Check out my thread about Zone Alarm..and if anyone has any tips for me in there, that would be great. (It is about finding the right program and finding it cheap)

-pedagogue
Old 07-05-02, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definately get a firewall! I used Zone Alarm for a while, but it kept going buggy on me, so I got Norton Internet Security. It's really easy to get it free from places like Staples. I got NIS 2002 for $49.99 - $10 coupon -$20 rebate - $30 upgrade rebate = they gave me $10 for buying NIS 2002 .
Old 07-06-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use ZA and it works pretty well for me. I also have the hardware firewall going on with a router.

Have you tried fooling around with the settings? I know that if I have ZA configured improperly or at too high a setting I will have problems accessing particular pages although it seems that you may have an actual confict with your browser?

What version of IE do you have? Is it all updated? If you are worried about security you can try the router thing since there are many good deals going around.

[b]cartman[/]b I know what you are talking about! I purchased Norton Antivirus the same way. Symantec ended up paying me some 13 bucks to have Norton AV! after a Staples.ca price match and rebate. I loved it.