Reload this Page >

Is it possible to have 3 monitors?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-03-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If so, how? I currently have a dual monitor setup. One CRT and one LCD both going into my ATI 7500 dualhead. I also have an older PCI V3 2000. Can I install this in my mobo and have 3? Do I need special software (like a 3-monitor version of ultramon or whatever) to run this? Thx

H
Old 07-03-02, 01:55 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is only one...

As far as I know, there is only one consumer-level video card that will allow a 3-monitor setup. The forthcoming Matrox Parhelia (here's a review from Firingsquad.com). The video cards that are out right now only allow up to 2 monitors. The Matrox will retail for $399 when it comes out. Definitely not a cheap card. But damn, 3 22-inch monitors hooked up side-by-side-by-side? WOW.

-BT

edit: I stand corrected. I forgot that you can just keep adding additional video cards if you want more monitors. Do it to it!

Last edited by BT; 07-03-02 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-03-02, 02:21 PM

Actually, the previous reply isn't quite true. The only way to get three monitors off of one card is the Parhelia. However, you can add multiple video cards to your machine if you're running XP. This support also theoretically existed in Win98 & 2000, but getting it to work is another story. ;-)

I've personally had three monitors running off of three video cards in an XP machine, as a test - 1 AGP, and 2 PCI cards. About the only limit is the number of slots you have.

Note that some cards still don't like to play well with others, so you'll want to test this ahead of time if possible, before sinking a lot of money into a solution.

So, to summarize - yep, go ahead & throw in the other card, and try it. Assuming you're running XP, it'll probably work. There's a lot of stuff on-line about running multiple monitors under XP - just do a search on Google if you need help.
Old 07-03-02, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried using a dual AGP and a single PCI vdo card but it didn't work. The PC BIOS detected only the single PCI and the dual AGP were not detected at all. At startup all I could see was the PCI monitor. Any help?
Old 07-04-02, 10:51 AM

There is an article about that in this months issue of maximum pc.
Old 07-04-02, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Steelers Fan
There is an article about that in this months issue of maximum pc.
Care to give us the gist of the article? I don't get maximum pc.
Old 07-04-02, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think you can do it with multiple ati cards
Old 07-04-02, 05:32 PM

The old Matrox G200 MMS (only avaible in PCI I think) can output to 4 monitors with a single card. But Matrox will probably stopping producing soon (they are quite old).
Old 07-05-02, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by huzefa

Care to give us the gist of the article? I don't get maximum pc.
Actually it is an article for the new Matrox Parhelia video card, Sorry
Old 07-08-02, 06:02 PM

One thing you can try - if you go into your BIOS, there should be an option as to which video card to iniitialize first - AGP or PCI. Some people have had success by switching this to the other value.
Old 07-08-02, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

We have computers right now that have 4 monitors hooked up to them and they are not old computers. There is only 1 card in these computers with 2 cables coming out that split into 4 cables to allow for 4 monitors.

Last edited by ANDREMIKE; 07-08-02 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-08-02, 11:14 PM

Not that this helps with your question at all, but take a look at this bad boy:

http://www.panoramtech.com/products/pv230.html

I had the pleasure of trying to obtain pricing for a bulk order of these at work, unfortunately, they weren't in our price range....they only run about $8000 a unit though, if you happen to be fortunate enough to win the lottery or something

Jeff
Old 07-11-02, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by The DVD List
Not that this helps with your question at all, but take a look at this bad boy:

http://www.panoramtech.com/products/pv230.html

I had the pleasure of trying to obtain pricing for a bulk order of these at work, unfortunately, they weren't in our price range....they only run about $8000 a unit though, if you happen to be fortunate enough to win the lottery or something

Jeff

Hehe, imagine playing Quake 3 on this....

Old 07-11-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I had a friend who used 4 old 15'' monitors on his pc... I found it sorta useless... I think he had an old ATI dual head card and 2 other cards in the pc. Sure, all 3 cards and the 4 monitors were obsolete but it was still nice to have 4 monitors

I don't see why you would want over 2 though, unless you're rich with a lot of money...

Like Dirk said though, not all cards work well together, I don't remember but I think you either need cards from the same company or all cards from different, but I forget.