Reload this Page >

Just ordered parts for new computer

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-03-02, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey

I just got done ordering parts for my new computer. This is the first one that I'm building, and I am excited! This is what i got.

AMD XP+ 1900
Epox 8KHAL motherboard
512 MB DDR RAM
Chieftec silver dragon aluminum case
420 watt Antec power supply
Lite-On 32x/12x/40 CDRW
Lite-On 16x DVD-drive
60 GB 7200 rpm Seagate Baracuda Hard drive
SB Audigy
Geforce 4 64 MB DDR Video Card
modem/ethernet card

and then i'm gonna slave out the 40 GB Maxtor harddrive from my current computer.

What do you guys think? Any advice that you can give me?
Old 07-03-02, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice setup! It beats mine. Anyways, it looks pretty good overall.

Old 07-03-02, 01:20 AM

the kicker for this system is that everything is costing me only around $720 after shipping!!!

can anybody recommend any websites that will give me good background on putting it all together once the parts get here
Old 07-03-02, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

nice looking.

I assume you have a floppy drive and the AMD XP is retail boxed so that it comes with a HS/Fan.

which Geforce 4 card? MX, Ti4200

I am not a fan of Seagates and would have bought a Maxtor myself.

What OS are you going to install?
Old 07-03-02, 07:58 AM

yup, it's the Ti4200. I've had trouble with Maxtor's in the past, so that's why I'm gonna give Seagate a try.

As far as the OS goes, I'm gonna install Windows XP Pro.
Old 07-03-02, 10:18 AM

Re: Just ordered parts for new computer

Originally posted by Smangalick

What do you guys think? Any advice that you can give me?

Cooling, cooling, cooling. With that nice aluminum case, it shouldn't be a huge problem. Also check out the web for CoolBits. You might be able to o/c that video card. I have a GeForce3 Ti200 that I've successfully o/c'd to the level of the original GeForce 3 (+25 MHz core clock, +40 or 60 MHz memory clock).

Old 07-03-02, 10:52 AM

thanks for the advice.

With cooling, I ordered 3 fans for the case. Is this enough? I don't really plan on doing much (if any) overclocking. I also not too sure about the placement of fans, to maximize cooling.
Old 07-03-02, 10:59 AM

sorry, forgot to mention this earlier...

I've seen things online (velcro backed padding) that are supposed to help reduce the sound from fans. Are those a good idea? do they work?
Old 07-03-02, 02:01 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're good for increasing heat insulation in your case... Is the noise that loud? I'd look into getting bigger and quieter-running fans instead of adding more stuff to the inside of your case.
Old 07-04-02, 11:14 AM

Dont worry about the seagate its arguably the best performing drive you can get for the $$. I went with the same size (60gb) and mine is performing flawlessly. I have tons of HDD's installed on my network and the new seagate seems to be more responsive than anything else.

If you want some good tips check out www.tomshardware.com. There is a ton of helpful information there. There is nothing difficult about putting a PC together, just take your time and make sure all your connections are tight. Dont screw anything down completely until you have all the screws seated. Then go back and tighten. Put your drives as close to each other and the MB as possible to ensure the cables will reach. And plan the layout of your PCI ports so that you can get to the important ports more easily. Things you will be connecting/disconnecting alot should go closer to the top. Things you wont ever touch put on the bottom. You should get a manual that will help you go through the bios setup and from there you are home free. Just install your OS then make sure you update every driver for every piece of hardware to get the best performance. Most of the drivers that ship are outdated before they leave the manufacturing plant.