Reload this Page >

Fireworks and digital photography

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-03-02, 12:44 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a chance this weekend to see an early fireworks show. Here are the best of my images, they may be helpful to you to figure out settings to use.

http://www.angelfire.com/d20/darren_...orks/index.htm
Old 07-03-02, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Fireworks and digital photography

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
I had a chance this weekend to see an early fireworks show. Here are the best of my images, they may be helpful to you to figure out settings to use.

http://www.angelfire.com/d20/darren_...orks/index.htm
Interesting and very nice. I don't shoot digital (considering it, but not yet). Shoot 35mm, and many same principles apply.

I don't know exactly how an f/stop works on a digital, but on 35mm changing the f/stop will change the thickness of the light lines in fireworks.

Usually the best photos come at the START of a fireworks show (less smoke build up for the light to reflect off of). In GENERAL if you let the shutter speeds go to long, you will just get streams of light filling the whole picture. Your 2-5 sec's seemed like it worked well.

With those shutter speeds I assume you used a tripod?

I also like to hit the USED book store. The basic general priciples in photography have not changed in many, many years. You can often find great used books on photograhy. I particular, check out the Kodak "shooting guides". They give tips, suggestions on shooting things like fire works, at the beach, in snow, etc, etc.
Old 07-04-02, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w00t! really schweet pics

too bad my digital camera isn't coming until next week