Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Downloaded movies have wrong run time...

Old 07-01-02, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Downloaded movies have wrong run time...

I downloaded a couple movies off of WinMX and when I open them, they have the wrong runtime. For example, a 1 1/2 hour movie only shows 5 minutes of runtime and you can only scroll through those 5 minutes, but at the end of the runtime, it continues to play, you just have no control over the playing of the movie from then on out.

Is there a program that can repair this? I've tried searching google, but to no avail.
Old 07-01-02, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that's a shame that your bootleg movies don't play
Old 07-01-02, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
Yeah, that's a shame that your bootleg movies don't play

Have you tried downloading another movie? Play it with another program like WMP 2, quick player, whatever.
Old 07-01-02, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Never seen this problem myself, but it sounds like some of the meta data in the file is corrupted. In the past, I've "rebuilt" avi or mpg files by stripping out or demuxing the video and audio and then piecing them back together again. Sometimes that leads to audio synch problems, but it may be worth trying.
Old 07-01-02, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I see this one getting locked real soon.
Old 07-01-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, let's just lock it because I'm talking about downloaded movies. How about I just rephrase my question:

I've got a movie that I captured using my ATI All-In-Wonder from a friend's video camera. But for some reason, the time is off. It's a 30 minute movie, but Windows Media Player only reports it as 5 minutes. So after the 5 minutes, I can't control the video, but it keeps playing beyond the "end" of the video.

How about that? Damn_some people just jump to conclusions with no hard evidence. I guarantee you I have not downloaded one movie that has seen a theatrical release. There are movies on WinMX and other file sharing applications that aren't bootleg - believe it or not.
Old 07-01-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh yeah, thanks for all the help.
Old 07-01-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TheKobra
I see this one getting locked real soon.
Nah, if this thread was started by a mod, then it won't be locked.

A corrupt file can definitely happen, like I said before, get it from another user.
Old 07-01-02, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by grr1

Nah, if this thread was started by a mod, then it won't be locked.

A corrupt file can definitely happen, like I said before, get it from another user.
Thanks for the help - I'll try playing it in other applications. But for some reason I remember seeing a small program that "fixes" video files with the wrong runtime - I just don't know where I saw it or what it was called.
Old 07-01-02, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a utility called Divxfix (it's 265k). I don't know if that will help. Also, if it's MPEG, you can try VCDGear and see if that will fix it.
Old 07-01-02, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is kind of similar to what happens when I download Simpsons eps on Kazaa. If the whole file hasn't been downloaded, then when I try to play the file, only certain parts will play (eg. it will play for the first 3 minutes, then freeze frame, and then start up 4 minutes later from a later point). U sure you have the entire movie downloaded? I don't use WinMX so I don't know.
Old 07-01-02, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've honestly had the same problem capturing shows for personal use on my ATI All in Wonder. I use TMPEGedit to edit the commercials and the run time problem that you have, I have too, when I name the edited versions the same as the original. Sometimes I forget, and even if I rename after, it doesnt fix it.

The only way I know how is to re do it is in TMPEGedit, I have never heard of a small program to fix them, but I am sure it could exist.