Reload this Page >

Question for IT guys, gals

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-01-02, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My IT department keeps a pretty tight grip on my computer (Win2K and no admin rights for me). Anyway, they manage my software though I can manage wiggle room, since they know me as a power user. Anyway, I have software that needs to be relicensed every now and again.

Whose responsibility is it to know that the license is up? Mine because it is my computer, or theirs because they handle the software purchases, deployment and installation.
Old 07-01-02, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Your computer? Your personal PC that you bought and brought in to work with?

In our shop we own nothing and can install nothing. There is no such thing as "my computer". All software/licenses etc are the responsibility of my GIS people.
Old 07-01-02, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The IT department should track all the software they've bought and when support/licenses run out.
Old 07-01-02, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The IT has that responsibility. I think your responsibility ends at notifying them of your license situation.

Your place of business is pretty hard core. Our users get local admin rights.
Old 07-01-02, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

not my personal computer, company owns it
Old 07-01-02, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Both. IT must maintain records for all the software licenses, but it would be very difficult for them (us) to know when any renewals for whatever POS software a user might have.
Old 07-01-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Nosmo Rex
Both. IT must maintain records for all the software licenses, but it would be very difficult for them (us) to know when any renewals for whatever POS software a user might have.
that's what i told him- he should've let them know about it
Old 07-01-02, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As long as you don't own that machine, you would have to goto your mgr or IS support person to reup your license.
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
The IT has that responsibility. I think your responsibility ends at notifying them of your license situation.

Your place of business is pretty hard core. Our users get local admin rights.
I get the rights temporarily when I need to do something, but i have to ask.

Every time on every piece of software I have to ask and at times ask multiple times for them to update me because they never see it coming.
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Bushdog
not my personal computer, company owns it
Not your computer, not your problem.
Old 07-01-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It is a mission critical piece of software that my business needs to function. About 10-15% of people in my company have it installed.
Old 07-01-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You then need a tracking software. I think we use SMS here to query a particular .exe file and then determine how many workstations have it installed. It can be pretty efficient if SMS is working like it should.

At our company it is the total responsability of IT to keep track of all software that requires a license.
Old 07-01-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How is this a hardware question? This is about company rules.

I think I need to start an "idiot moderators moved my post" thread.
Old 07-01-02, 02:18 PM
Banned

This seems to me like one of those "I have too much responsibility to deal with, so do I really have to monitor this sh|t" threads ...

Old 07-01-02, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Soup Nazi
This seems to me like one of those "I have too much responsibility to deal with, so do I really have to monitor this sh|t" threads ...

No, I get paid to do my crap, they get paid to do theirs. I'm just trying to see how the responsibility ought to fall. If it is mine, that's cool.
Old 07-01-02, 02:23 PM
Banned

No, I get paid to do my crap, they get paid to do theirs. I'm just trying to see how the responsibility ought to fall. If it is mine, that's cool.
Ah, gotcha. I still say both ...

Old 07-01-02, 02:26 PM
Moderator Emeritus

How is this a hardware question? This is about company rules.

I think I need to start an "idiot moderators moved my post" thread.
'Tis not just a hardware forum. "Discuss PC Hardware, Software, and Internet Technology". Since it's talking about software licenses, and since it's in us ITish types nature to browse this forum periodically, I figured it would generate more responses here.

Plus I like "idiot moderators moved my post" threads.
Old 07-01-02, 02:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by AndyCapps
Plus I like "idiot moderators moved my post" threads.
Ok, I'll start one then ...

Old 07-01-02, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bushdog

I would say that it depends on the rules of your company and what they FUND the It department to do.

If the IT department has enough man power to track license information and expiration dates of a given license on each machine, then they should.

If the IT department is one of those 'on a shoestring budget' types and they just mainly there to fix problems, then it is your job to tell them

I have been in both situations and both work as long as everyone knows the rules up front.

The IT department that I run now is a combination of the above. We have 'standard' software that the IT department is 100% responsible for on every machine.

Then there is 'non standard' software which is delt with on a case by case basis. Being an IT manager dealing with a person on a non-standard item, I would say that it is the employees job to tell me when their software is going to expire so that a new license may be ordered. There is no way I could keep track of every odd bal software license unless I hired someone to do it. Somthing that silly would be laughed at by my boss and she would say the person using the stuff can let you know when they need more. I would agree I have a nice budget, but there is not a lot of waste or frivolous fluff in it. I can also get around most license schemes for a couple weeks while we wait on a new license to arrive
Old 07-01-02, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You are a bad, bad man.

Dave
Originally posted by 4KRG
I can also get around most license schemes for a couple weeks while we wait on a new license to arrive
Old 07-01-02, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It depends in my company, eventually it lead back to us. We use the POS SMS to do hardware and software inventory. Proprietary software used by a department are usually handle by the departments, like the S&P contract, Moodys, etc.
Old 07-01-02, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk God

mission critical software that a strong percentage of users have.. IT dept should definitly be handling it

if your license of a copy of webshots ran out.. they shouldnt be responsible
Old 07-01-02, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If they have a copy of webshots at all, they should be shot.
I've had a couple of people ask for help with webshots. I've helped them delete it, and instructed them never to add it again.
BTW, on topic answer is we handle anything that we install. If someone out in the field installs something else, they deal with it.
Dave
Originally posted by twikoff
Old 07-02-02, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by twikoff
mission critical software that a strong percentage of users have.. IT dept should definitly be handling it

Yah, mission critical, and in the US, probably 70-110 of fulltime employees have it. They install it and control the license and every time it expires (6 mos to a year) I have to tell them and ask that they begin the process to update it.
Old 07-02-02, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yah, mission critical, and in the US, probably 70-110 of fulltime employees have it. They install it and control the license and every time it expires (6 mos to a year) I have to tell them and ask that they begin the process to update it.
The question remains, what is the company policy on this?

If there isn't one, then maybe you should create one so everyone knows this is the IT departments job to track.

Like I said I have worked in both situations (where IT does this and where the employee does this) and both work as long as everyone knows who is responsible for what.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.