Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help needed with stalling internet problem

Old 06-30-02, 10:37 PM

Help needed with stalling internet problem

For about the last two months now I've been dealing with a mysterious problem while surfing the net. For the record, I am running Windows 98 on an HP Pavilion PC with Roadrunner high-speed cable internet access. The problem is that about every fifth or sixth webpage takes a minute or longer to load, rather than the usual 2-10 seconds it took for a page to load during my first nine months of service. I have contacted HP and they replied with an automated message with a checklist of options to try to solve the problem. I went thru each step but the problem remains. I called my Roadrunner and they checked the basic PC resources and double checked their basic setup. That didn't help either. I'm thinking it'd be worth a try to delete all the programs from my PC and start from scratch with the basic CD-Rom that came with my HP PC but that means I'd lose all the links I have saved in my faves and possibly all my saved emails as well as I believe I'd have to have Roadrunner reinstalled. This seems like the method to try when all else fails. Does anyone have a clue as to what will cure my PC of this very annoying problem? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions anyone may have.
Old 06-30-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well go to run and type msconfig

what programs are running at startup?

My brother was having some problems and he had a few spyware programs running

also go to cnet.com and download ad aware and run that to delete any spyware that might be stealing bandwidth.

it also could be an access issue of course it should not be that regular.
Old 06-30-02, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by gcribbs
well go to run and type msconfig

what programs are running at startup?
- Weather
- ScanRegistry
- SystemTray
- USBMMKBD
- Keyboard Manager
- Vshwin 32EXE
- TkBelEXE
- Load QM
- Mouse Suite 98 Daemon
- Hidserv
- Vshwin 32EXE
- Cal reminder shortcut

I don't know what half of these even mean cause I'm so computer-illiterate. First thing I did was uncheck one of the Vshwin 32EXE's. What on earth is a "Cal reminder shortcut"?

I'll check cnet.com in a minute.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-30-02, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by gcribbs
also go to cnet.com and download ad aware and run that to delete any spyware that might be stealing bandwidth.
Alright, I've downloaded ad aware and I keep getting a message of "No Scanning Options Selected", even though I have tried selecting each option available.
Old 06-30-02, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it is asking you if you want ad aware to deep scan the C drive.

Another suggestion is to get a FIREWALL.

Definitely kill those other programs in MSConfig. Leave programs like ScanReg, Systray checked.
Old 06-30-02, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by grr1
[B]Another suggestion is to get a FIREWALL.
How do I go about getting a firewall? I've heard the term but have no idea what it is or how it works.
Old 06-30-02, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, a firewall will help you here. ZoneAlarm is very good and FREE!. It will monitor your internet useage, and warn you everytime a program tries to contact the internet. Go here http://download.com.com/3000-2092-80...ml?tag=lst-0-1
Old 06-30-02, 11:54 PM

I killed all the other programs except Keyboard Manager and Mouse Suite since I need those to type and click but still no luck.

I'll download that free firewall program now. Will that help any existing problems or just new ones?
Old 07-01-02, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ZoneAalrm has never caused me any problems. It will tell you about programs that are trying to contact the internet, the more programs you have the slower the speed is. ZA allows you to choose which programs you want to contact the net, you don't want a bunch of programs all running at the same time.

ZA is pretty simple.

PS check the add/remove program for any suspicious programs. Also keep trying with the ad aware, you will need it to kill the spyware.
Old 07-01-02, 12:09 AM

Thanks! The ZoneAlarm program seems to be working good thus far. I hope the ad aware program will work soon as well, I'll certainly keep trying it.
Old 07-01-02, 07:27 PM

Still no luck with ad aware.
Old 07-01-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by codefree
I killed all the other programs except Keyboard Manager and Mouse Suite since I need those to type and click but still no luck.
you don't need either one. From my most commonly posted link: MSCONFIG PROGRAMS

Keyboard manager pings an HP website periodically so that fancy "online" light will be illuminated on your keyboard. (not sure if that is slowing you down, but it certainly is non-essential).

Mouse suite is also not needed, and seems to only cause needless complications with directx games?

these may not be your problems, but it certainly won't hurt to axe both of these.
Old 07-01-02, 08:14 PM

The last time I turned off Keyboard Manager I was unable to adjust the volume of my speakers. I need them when watching movie trailers online. I don't need the light on the keyboard but I do need this.
Old 07-01-02, 08:16 PM

So since I'm having no luck with this, would it cure the problem if I remove everything from the PC and start from scratch? Doesn't seem to be an alternative.
Old 07-01-02, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Umm... clarify something for me. Are you still having problems with:
IE stalling?
or
Ad Aware Scannning?
or both?

What version is adaware? Go to Download and try find a similar program or later version. I am using version 5.0.2 and it works fine for me.
PS I think Eeyore is right about those 2 programs, doesn't the standard driver for these do the job fine since it is just plug and play?
Old 07-01-02, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by grr1
Umm... clarify something for me. Are you still having problems with:
IE stalling?
or
Ad Aware Scannning?
or both?
Both.

What version is adaware?
Old 07-01-02, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Latest version is 5.83 here http://download.com.com/3000-2094-10...ml?tag=lst-0-1 just released last week. 5.0 works fine for me. Have you went to customize option to check things?

I wouldn't do a clean install until all else fail, and there still is a lot left to try.
yea, try remove all the junk programs via add/remove, and back up your links. You've cleared the temp? cookies? history?
Used the IE repair tool in system infomation?
Old 07-01-02, 09:41 PM

I finally got Ad Aware to work. Unfortunately, the stalling problem remains.

I clean temp, cookies, and history daily.

I've removed all I know I can remove in the add/remove programs.

What is the IE repair tool in system information? I clicked on System in the Control Panel but didn't see anything about repair.

Thanks again!
Old 07-01-02, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Go to start>programs>accessories>system tools>system info>tools tab>IE repair.
I also assume you ran defrag and scandisk on your hd?
What I did for the ad aware is deep scan hd AND registry, then it'll find some spyware files, I back them all up, then remove all of them. Use caution when do this.
PS, you have the latest security update for IE right?
Old 07-01-02, 10:09 PM

It says the shortcut to System Info is unavailable and that I should check the disc or see if the network resource is available. Seems to mean that I deleted something I shouldn't have.

Where would I get the newest security update for IE?
Old 07-01-02, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It says the shortcut to System Info is unavailable and that I should check the disc or see if the network resource is available. Seems to mean that I deleted something I shouldn't have.

Where would I get the newest security update for IE?
Oh dear
The system info should have this file path something like this "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSINFO\MSINFO32.EXE",

Just go to start>windows update or http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
Old 07-02-02, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The last time I turned off Keyboard Manager I was unable to adjust the volume of my speakers. I need them when watching movie trailers online. I don't need the light on the keyboard but I do need this.
try it again. you won't get the on-screen display of the volume, but the knob on your keyboard should still change the volume just fine. (i'm sitting at an HP pavilion that's been completely revamped and all HP software vestiges removed, but the knob on the keyboard still works).