Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Annoying problem with dial up in WinXP

Old 06-30-02, 06:57 PM

Annoying problem with dial up in WinXP

OK - I've been having this problem for a while - a lot of sites won't connect in XP. These are common sites, like for example news.yahoo.com doesn't work but www.yahoo.com works. IE and Netscape are both the same - they get past the 'looking up host' part, but stall at the 'connecting to' part. If i ping news.yahoo.com, it responds though. I know it's not an ISP problem because in Win98 everything's OK. I've checked all the modem settings and the modem logs are identical down to every init string.. maybe there's something I'm still missing.. anyone know?
Old 06-30-02, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

God, I hate dial up.

Maybe Security and Privacy settings are too high? What happens when you try to go to the web page, does a message appears like "Page cannot be displayed" or "We can't find this page..." You have already tried pinging it in the MSDOS, right? Did you get any replies???

Same thing happened to me in Win98SE. So I manually set the DNS for my dial up connection by doing a search for the IP # and put it in. Before I pinged it in MSDOS and got no replies.

Use the IE repair tool from system info and get all updated secutrities packs from MS update site.