Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

So what should I do with my old PC?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-30-02, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an old 500 mhz k6-2 PC that I just replaced with one of those Hot Deal $350 Dells and I'm looking for something to do with it. Obvously it's not worth the trouble to try to sell but being a packrat I thought I might make a jukebox, Linux box, whatever box, something interesting anyway.

What interesting things have you done with your old but functional PC's
Old 06-30-02, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just stripped out the 20GB hard drive and dvd player from my old pc.

But if there's no parts worth adding from the old one. I'd just put it in the closet as a backup or try selling it to a buddy.
Old 06-30-02, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I made an old pentium into a linux router/firewall. Just needed 2 network cards and small hard drive to get it up and going.
Old 06-30-02, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If it can do internet browsing and the like maybe you should check with a local organization for disabled people or low income people who might need a computer.

I built one recently using some spare parts that is going to a disabled person that I was told needed a computer. the family had some parts and i happened to have a few also.

It is possible official organizations would not want old computers however it might be worth a try.
Old 06-30-02, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by gcribbs
If it can do internet browsing and the like maybe you should check with a local organization for disabled people or low income people who might need a computer.

I built one recently using some spare parts that is going to a disabled person that I was told needed a computer. the family had some parts and i happened to have a few also.

It is possible official organizations would not want old computers however it might be worth a try.
Awesome idea, good to see people are trying to help other. Way to go, gcribbs!
Old 06-30-02, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by gcribbs

That's good idea. The town where I live has a LOT of very poor families and I know of several that have kids that could really use a computer for school work but they would have to get their own monitor and by itself would be prohibitively expensive. That and I'd have to make sure I cleaned all the pron out of it really well.
Old 06-30-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Creek Rat

That's good idea. The town where I live has a LOT of very poor families and I know of several that have kids that could really use a computer for school work but they would have to get their own monitor and by itself would be prohibitively expensive. That and I'd have to make sure I cleaned all the pron out of it really well.
maybe you know someone with an old 14" or 15" monitor they have sitting around. I know for school work a monitor and printer might be expensive. however maybe some local organization that helps the poor might have that

worth a try I guess