Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question about upgrading to Windows XP..

Old 06-29-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Question about upgrading to Windows XP..

I have ME now and I want XP. My ME came installed on my PC when I first got it and I do not have any of the CDs at all. Can I just buy the XP upgrade version or would I need to get the full version? Also, is it a pain to change the OS? I have never done that before.
Old 06-29-02, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hmmm. you can get the upgrade version but I personally hate to just overlay a new OS on top of an existing one. Now you can do a clean install off of an upgrade disc if you have a previous version of windows to put in during the install process to prove you have a previous version. However, I don't think your PC recovery disc will cut it.

But if you have a full prior OS (like win95, 98 or 98SE) laying around just get the XP upgrade and do a clean install. If not, I say buy the full version and do a clean install that way. or option #3 is to just buy the XP upgrade and lay it on top of winME (but that sounds like trouble to me... )
Old 06-30-02, 02:04 AM

kind of a similar question... i just got a new laptop with xp home installed, but i found out i need xp pro. i already spent the past couple days installing new programs and transfering files over to it, so i would prefer to not do a clean install. would installing xp pro over xp home be ok, or is it worth the time to do a clean install?
Old 06-30-02, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Shuki
hmmm. you can get the upgrade version but I personally hate to just overlay a new OS on top of an existing one.
I've always, always been a stickler about this too. But I got XP free (campus Microsoft event) a few months back, and my notebook was immensely loaded with apps and I didn't have time to clean install.

I installed XP over ME, and to my surprise, it's run like a charm. And, yes, XP is a pretty enormous step over ME - if only from a stability standpoint. I take my notebook everywhere and use it virtually all week long, and I find that I'm rebooting probably 2-3 times a week with XP, instead of 15-20 for ME.

- David Stein
Old 06-30-02, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gev115
kind of a similar question... i just got a new laptop with xp home installed, but i found out i need xp pro. i already spent the past couple days installing new programs and transfering files over to it, so i would prefer to not do a clean install. would installing xp pro over xp home be ok, or is it worth the time to do a clean install?
well the worst that can happen is that you intall pro over home and you have problems with it (ie. BSOD, lockups, etc..) and you have to reformat and do a clean install anyway. Might as well try that overlay first and if you get tired of problems (if you happen to experience any) then just back everything up and do a clean pro install.
Old 07-01-02, 09:08 AM

When I upgraded from ME to XP, I first tried to overlay the new OS over the old one. Almost all of my programs did not respond kindly to this change, so I ended up doing a clean install anyways.

If you want to save your mp3s, video files, documents, etc.; I recommend that you get something like Partition Magic, create a new partition, move everything you want to save over there, and then do a clean install of XP. That way you get the new OS, while saving the things that most people want to save.