Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

REAL (Real One media player) really cheeses me OFF! A rant.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-29-02, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Because that friggin' company drops a TON of crap on your desktop and your startup menu when you download their free RealOne player.

I don't want AOL icons all over the place and my registry all messed up! Additionally, they put the Vulcan death grip on all my media associations and won't let them go to WinMedia Player without a fight which is my preferred player. I finally got it to things to work the way I like it but I still have those accursed RealOne icons on all my media.

I hate that.

I mean, it's a "free" player so I suppose I can't moan too much ... but other companies that offer a trial version of their software don't dip to this kind of behavior so they're in my bad books now.

Sorry, just had to rant.

Last edited by bill_n_opus; 06-29-02 at 12:25 AM.
Old 06-29-02, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

rant understood! i can't stand real player and refuse to install it...
Old 06-29-02, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RealNetworks has always been terrible with installing crap and changing settings. I avoid Real streams as much as I can because I hate the players so much.
Old 06-29-02, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, come on! I hate the idea of realplayer too, but I put some effort in when I first download it and then it runs fine. Just gotta uncheck everything and I mean everything when you first install. The only 2 file assocations for realplayer I use are *.rm and *.ra. Nothing else. If you uncheck everything during install phase, then you'll be fine.
Old 06-29-02, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've always hated Real player - they put an icon everywhere - your start menus, your quick start menu, your system tray, your desktop...

I have their player installed, but hardly, if ever, use it. I absolutely hate it. The only problem is friggen Windows Media player refuses to play anything streaming (yes, I need a reinstall), so I have to use Real for that, but never ever at any other time.
Old 06-29-02, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I installed Real One last month and it was even more intrusive and sneaky than previous versions of their player. I'm never installing another piece of software from them again. Some sites stream exclusively in Real formats, but I'm willing to give them up to avoid Real's BS.
Old 06-29-02, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In the past I just did what huzefa said and unchecked everything possible. Used to give you options not to have all the gew-gaws and doo-dads all over the place, file assoc., etc.

If it's as bad as you say I'll stick with RP8 despite it bugging me ever so often to upgrade.
Old 06-29-02, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I hate .rm files soooooooo much, I refuse to install any form of Real anything on my system. I mean, they can take like 30 minutes for video and fit it on like 8 megs. The picture looks like a giant block of pixels moving. My order of preference is vcd-compliant mpeg, then avi and then getting kicked in the nuts by an Olympic soccer play, then Real Media.
Old 06-29-02, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by young
rant understood! i can't stand real player and refuse to install it...
My sentiments exactly.
Old 06-29-02, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

theres options to uncheck everything, and if you do, its not so bad. with the real one player though, they put in a startup program you can't disable without going into msconfig. and even if you do disable it, it sometimes comes back. Also, if you close the program, its really not closed and will try to access the internet every so often. I really hate Real. A few years ago there wasnt all this BS with their program and now I really, really hate them too. their software almost always freezes or crashes too. avoid them when possible!

the question is... is there a alternate program that can read realmedia files? there should be!
Old 06-29-02, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad I started to refuse to install it around RP7 or so.
Old 06-29-02, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
the question is... is there a alternate program that can read realmedia files? there should be!
Not that I know of, BUT, there is a program that will convert RealMedia files to .AVI format (or maybe it was .MPEG). Do a search for TINRA (it stands for 'This Is Not Real Anymore') and you should find it. I haven't really tested it much, but I did convert a few files and they played fine.
Old 06-29-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

whats worse is some sites won't let you use old versions of real player so you have to install the full blown real player one thats adds all its stuff to your computer
Old 06-29-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The associations thing I can maybe do better next time (can't remember if I was given an option to check associations) but the thing about putting unwanted icons all over your comp and over your startup is truly intrusive and poor customer management.

I mean, even Apple doesn't do this with Quicktime even though they could. With Quicktime you just get their crappy player but you don't get the invasive stuff that NO ONE wants.

If it wasn't for a particular streaming radio station that I want to listen to here and there I wouldn't even consider Real Networks. However, it certainly doesn't make it more attractive for me to change my player preferences when exposed to this behavior.
If Real Networks wants my business or wants to appeal to me to be their number one fan then they are going to have to do it differently and much better.

Actually, it makes me kind of wonder if a company resorts to these tactics then are they getting desperate business wise?

That's kinda what I really wanted to say.
Old 06-29-02, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed that Real Player sucks. I uninstalled it after one month since I hardly used it, and I always used Winodws Media Player since that is the best one.
Old 06-30-02, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Real software is buggy, unstable, annoying, and intrusive.

More mind-bogglingly, however: Real media files are just crap. I don't think they've improved their codecs in about a decade, so the files just look like dogsh*t. Compare your typical RM with an AVI or WMV (let alone something with DIVX compression), and it's just stunning that Real is still in business.

- David Stein
Old 07-01-02, 11:03 AM
Banned

Originally posted by pantala
RealNetworks has always been terrible with installing crap and changing settings. I avoid Real streams as much as I can because I hate the players so much.
I also hate Real Player for all of the above reasons, plus now they want you to log in to the program whenever you want to use it. I think they are much worse than AOL or Microsoft, etc.

More importantly, why do so many webpage (like CDNOW, etc.) use real media exclusively? Is Real Media paying all these places to use their format, or something?
Old 07-01-02, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sfsdfd
The Real software is buggy, unstable, annoying, and intrusive.

More mind-bogglingly, however: Real media files are just crap. I don't think they've improved their codecs in about a decade, so the files just look like dogsh*t. Compare your typical RM with an AVI or WMV (let alone something with DIVX compression), and it's just stunning that Real is still in business.
Agree. It's because they're entrenched and because of their marketing, when people think streaming video they think Real. I personally wish a stray warhead would hit Real's warehouse (after hours, of course, so no one is injured )
Old 07-01-02, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

RealPlayer also automatically adds something that starts every time you turn your computer on also. If you manually remove the entry, it gets re-added the next time you play any media file with Real.
Old 07-01-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm lucky. There is no version of Real Player for Mac OS X, and hopefully there never will be.

I don't even have it on my windows machine here at work.
Old 07-01-02, 08:43 PM

I agree with all of the above. Don't install Real unless you absolutely have to. And if you do have to uncheck all the boxes and use a fake email address.
Old 07-01-02, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks so much! I am off to look for it now.

Originally posted by Mr_Shred

Not that I know of, BUT, there is a program that will convert RealMedia files to .AVI format (or maybe it was .MPEG). Do a search for TINRA (it stands for 'This Is Not Real Anymore') and you should find it. I haven't really tested it much, but I did convert a few files and they played fine.