Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

virus question (goldfish)

Old 06-25-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

virus question (goldfish)

I have gotten 3 emails in the past 2 days from people unknown and the attachment has the word goldfish in it and 2 of the 3 had the subject of goldfish. anyone else getting these? is this some new virus thats spreading around or something? i obviously just delete the emails but was wondering if this is something thats widespread or not. thanks
Old 06-25-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry, don't have an answer, but I have avirus question too and thought I'd post it here rather than start a new thread (less clutter).

I have received "bounced" emails 3 times in the last week indicating that an email I sent was returned because the recipient was unknown. I never sent the emails to my knowledge, and the recipient is not a name/address known to me. My first thought was maybe my computer was infected, but I would have thought that if my computer was sending out bad emails (culling addresses from my address book) then a friend would have received them and told me, plus the intended recipients of these emails are certainly not in my address book.

Anyone know what's up with this?
Old 06-25-02, 04:27 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by LurkerDan
I have received "bounced" emails 3 times in the last week indicating that an email I sent was returned because the recipient was unknown. I never sent the emails to my knowledge, and the recipient is not a name/address known to me.
I got about 1000 of those a month or so back: a spammer had used my bigfoot adddress as the "from"