Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

running chkdsk?

Old 06-25-02, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

running chkdsk?

I have a compact flash card that has a corrupt directory. At one point in trying to get the stuff off of it my computer came up with a message run chkdsk. I typed that in the run window and it checked my C drive, tried f:\chkdsk and f:\run\chkdsk and had no luck, anyone know how to do this?

I found the info below on help and tried a few things but still can't get it to run...

Chkdsk
Creates and displays a status report for the disk. Chkdsk also lists and corrects errors on the disk.

The chkdsk command with the parameters listed below is only available when you are using the Windows 2000 Recovery Console, which can be started from the Windows 2000 Setup program. The chkdsk command with different parameters is available from the command prompt in Windows 2000.

chkdsk [drive:] [/p] [/r]

Parameters

none

Used without parameters, chkdsk displays the status of the disk in the current drive.

drive:

Specifies the drive that you want chkdsk to check.

/p

Performs an exhaustive check even if the drive is not marked for chkdsk to run. This parameter does not make any changes to the drive.

/r

Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. Implies /p.

Note

Chkdsk requires the file Autochk.exe. If it cannot find it in the startup directory (\Winnt\System32, by default), it will attempt to locate it on the Windows 2000 Installation CD. If you have a multi-boot computer, be sure you are issuing this command from the drive containing Windows 2000.

Any help?
Old 06-25-02, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

well as the info you pasted said, the proper usage is:

chkdsk f:

you can add the /p and/or /r switches if you would like, but in Windows 2000 it won't do an exhaustive scan in the OS, it'll reboot do the scan upon the next boot.

Good luck!
Old 06-25-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thank you much! I was able to recover some of the images on the card.

Cheers!
Jeff