Reload this Page >

I've got a virus question. Please help!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-24-02, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I got this email today from an address I do not recognize. Here's the email:

Norton AntiVirus found a virus in an attachment you sent to
(an address I've never seen was here).

To ensure the recipient(s) are able to use the files you sent, perform a
virus scan on your computer, clean any infected files, then resend this
attachment.

Attachment: Use..bat
Virus name: [email protected]
Action taken: Clean failed : Quarantine succeeded :
File status: Infected
After receiving this, I updated my virus definitions (I use Norton Antivirus) and did a virus scan but found no viruses.

After that, I looked at the virus definitions I have and noticed that I don't seem to have the specific one listed. Here are the Klez definitions I have:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected](1)
[email protected]

So I don't seem to have the definition for the specific virus name that is listed on that email. What should I do? And where did that email come from? The address is completely foreign to me. Any ideas?
Old 06-24-02, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay, I may have answered at least one of my own questions. I searched for [email protected] and found a removal tool at symantec here: http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html

I followed the steps and it says it deleted 11 files, which suggests to me that I had 11 infected files (hope I didn't need those files as I don't even know what they were).

Of course, I can't scan for this particular virus, so I don't know if I still have it on my computer. Any input here is appreciated.
Old 06-25-02, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just saw twikoff's sticky thread: I'm running Windows 98, in case that's important.
Old 06-25-02, 03:30 AM

Has this even afected anything you normally do? My mom had one of thos W32's on her comp., I eventually just formatted and put in XP.

Does Norton not let you scan?
Old 06-25-02, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by screamingacorn
Has this even afected anything you normally do? My mom had one of thos W32's on her comp., I eventually just formatted and put in XP.

Does Norton not let you scan?
I never even knew it was there until I got that email. I can scan with Norton, but it didn't detect any viruses at all.
Old 06-25-02, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i receive a version of the klez about 4 times a day. i just let norton take care of it so far. annoying as hell, isn't it?

the scan probably won't pick it up, because the email protect has most likely quarantined or deleted the infected attachment already. the klez tool should get rid of the rest of it for you.

cranky.
Old 06-26-02, 04:36 PM

Just FYI, there is a version of the Klez virus that attempts to flash your bios. I forget which one it is, Im pretty sure it isnt the H version.
Old 06-26-02, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by DravenCFH
Just FYI, there is a version of the Klez virus that attempts to flash your bios. I forget which one it is, Im pretty sure it isnt the H version.
Yikes, that would suck a lot.