Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

experience with memory sticks, anyone?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-24-02, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just bought a new sony digi-cam. it only comes with a 16 mb memory stick, how unthoughtful. but anyway, i got the digi-cam for a fairyly good price, so i shouldn't complain. now, i'm shopping for memory sticks. as i'm doing a little research, i have found 3 companies makes those sticks: sony themselves, lexar, and sandisk.

now, here is the question, does anyone know the difference between them aside from different brand and price? anyone worked with them and got good/bad experiences?

buy.com has all 3 of them listed out in different prices.
http://www.buy.com/retail/computers/....asp?loc=15580

just not sure which one to go for.

any reply would be greatly appreciated.

thank you all in advance...
Old 06-24-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the Lexar seemed to work fine in my digital camera.

It also is the cheaper of the brands.
Old 06-24-02, 11:02 PM
Needs to provide a working email

I have a Sony DSC-F707 that also came with only a 16 MB stick. I bought a 128 MB stick at the same time, and it happened to be a Lexar. No problems with it at all. I only wish they came in higher capacities-- a 128 MB card holds around only 60 pictures at
2560x1920.

BTW, those memory sticks are more durable than you would think. I had misplaced the 16 MB one that came with my camera. I found it today-- in the watch pocket of a pair of pants that had been washed and dried. I tried sticking it in the camera and got a memory stick error message. Figured it was dead, so I thought I'd pop it open and see what it looked like inside. But when I tried to pry it apart, the plastic was fused together too well for casual opening. So I decided to try it in the camera again, and-- it worked. Perfectly. After going through a washing machine with all the related chemicals and then through a hot drier. I was impressed.
Old 06-25-02, 11:44 AM

hi Darren Garrison,

i remembered you replying to one of my posts regarding F707s.., thanks for the information you have given me then. and now we meet again with memory stick. well..., you may have now guessed that i bit the bullet and bought the F707..., one of my biggest purchase ever in my life so far. well.., i do like it and have been playing with it. just like you, that itty bitty 16mb just don't cut it. that's why i'm now shopping for a larger capacity stick.

so far, i have only seen at max of 128 for mem sticks, but 256 for compact flash. wish they make a higher one....

hmm.., so lexar are pretty good.., and i do believe they are the cheapest out of all 3 mafgs. it's nice to know lexar's quality is second to none.

thanks again for the information
Old 06-27-02, 12:45 AM

Here's a link to some pictures I've taken with my F707 so far. The site isn't anything fancy-- I had Photoshop generate it automaticly from a directory full of cropped or downsized images. Then I signed up for a free Angelfire web site and uploaded it.

http://www.angelfire.com/d20/darren_garrison/index.htm
Old 06-27-02, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

we use lexar and sony... both seem fine. i would suspect sandisk to be fine also.

for music, sony has something called magicgate sticks but i don't know what/how it exactly works.
Old 06-27-02, 12:18 PM

wow, darren garrison,

what do you do for a living, if you don't mind me asking. where do you like find all those bugs to model for ya? nice pics. those are pretty nice close-ups; did you use any accessories to your cam to take that (lens, filters, etc.)

for me i find that cam to have less zooming capability than i wanted, but i guess i can only buy a zooming lens for it.
Old 06-27-02, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by young
for music, sony has something called magicgate sticks but i don't know what/how it exactly works.
"MagicGate" is Sony's version of "SecureDigital" in MultiMedia cards-- a copyright protection layer. MagicGate sticks will work in non-MagicGate items, with the security features ignored.
Old 06-27-02, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by wakanaiyo
wow, darren garrison,

what do you do for a living, if you don't mind me asking. where do you like find all those bugs to model for ya? nice pics. those are pretty nice close-ups; did you use any accessories to your cam to take that (lens, filters, etc.)

for me i find that cam to have less zooming capability than i wanted, but i guess i can only buy a zooming lens for it.
All of the bugs were found in my yard-- I live "out in the country". No acessories were used with the camera other than (in some) a tripod. I do play around with the modes, though-- aperture priority, shutter priority, full maunual, full auto, and such.

And, it has less zooming capability than some cameras (though really not that many go beyond 5x optical) you can still crop out quite a bit of the image and produce good photos even at 8x10.
Old 06-27-02, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i use a lexar 128mb stick with my Sony Clie' Works like a charm
Old 06-27-02, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Darren,

did you use auto focus or manual for those close-up? It's pain using hte manual focus on the 707.
Old 06-28-02, 05:40 PM

Auto, I think, on all of them on that site. Yeah, manual is tedious. I had to sometimes focus more than once to get it to lock where I wanted it to lock. When there is enough light, I set it to aperture priority and set it up towards f8 to get a greater depth of field.
Old 06-28-02, 08:27 PM

Darren, that's really cool you got a "zoo" around ya. can't believe there are that many bugs and critters out there. but then, i guess i'm not watching them closely.

in any case, those were great shots. i may need to invest maybe in the future with zooming lens for objects of far distance; those lens will come in handy.

anything / tricks you have discovered that you can share?

i'm still shopping for memory sticks...
Old 06-28-02, 10:39 PM

Lexar brand Memory Sticks have a much better warranty than Sony.

100% Compatibility Guaranteed, Plus a 5-year Limited Warranty
The Digital Film Compliance seal assures you that your Lexar Media film is 100% compatible with your Memory Stick digital camera. Moreover, your film is also backed by a 5-year limited customer-satisfaction warranty.
Link:
http://www.lexarmedia.com/digfilm/index_ms.html

Editited to add link.