Need help understanding some ram

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-24-02, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2033144367

I would like to bid on this but I don't understand what ECC or non-ECC is. Also, my computer (Dell 8100) is running either PC600 or PC800 (I forget). What is PC700 and would it be compatible. Is there anyway this would not be compatible with mine? Thanks.
Old 06-25-02, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk God

oh please, please, please help me
Old 06-25-02, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You don't need ECC...

ECC is Error Checking and Correcting (or something like that ) and just verifies that the information written to the RAM is 100% correct - it's mainly used in servers where information is critical - you don't find it in most desktops.

I'm not 100% sure about the PC700, but I thought that the number after the PC was the speed at which it runs. I am using PC2700 in my computer which runs at 333MHz. So I guess if you're running PC800, going down to PC700 wouldn't hurt, but I don't know if running PC700 in a PC600 computer would work. But then again, I'm not 100% sure here...
Old 06-25-02, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's a definition of ECC:

ECC (either "error correction [or correcting] code" or "error checking and correcting") allows data that is being read or transmitted to be checked for errors and, when necessary, corrected on the fly. It differs from parity-checking in that errors are not only detected but also corrected. ECC is increasingly being designed into data storage and transmission hardware as data rates (and therefore error rates) increase.

You really don't need it unless you're building a big server with gigabytes of RAM.
Old 06-27-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some computer hobbyists have opined that running ECC memory may not be such a bad idea if you're the anal type. There is supposedly a small performance hit running ECC though.
Old 06-27-02, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

KVR

the 8100 is an interesting animal

You can run ECC or NON-ECC, you may also mix them. If you mix you will run at the lowest common denominator for all ram, meaning non-ecc

ECC is not a must have in a home use desktop, and probably a waste

You can also run 600 or 800 speed, but again if you mix you will run at the slowest speed. In this case 600 is slower than 800.

This all depends on what you have in the machine. IF you have 800 ECC and you put in 700 non-ecc then all ram will run 700 non-ecc. See what I mean?

If you have 600 non-ecc and you install 700 ECC, then all ram will run at 600 non-ecc.

This model is very flexible as to the finer details of the ram, good design for joe sasquach
Old 06-27-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Thanks for the info. I'll even over look the sasquach comment mainly because it's true
Old 06-27-02, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by bill_n_opus
Some computer hobbyists have opined that running ECC memory may not be such a bad idea if you're the anal type. There is supposedly a small performance hit running ECC though.
3-5%, I think.
Old 06-28-02, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I made the mistake of buying a stick of (expensive) ECC once, and now it gathers dust, because I can't mix it with the non-ECC that comprises the bulk of the RAM in the machines I build.

RD