Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Copying / Moving mp3's to new folder, Q!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-24-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious if I move or make copies of some of my mp3's will they be "exactly" the same quality as the original? I ask because in order to create folders I have to move them to the desired folder.

I know some mp3s that I DL from others have scratches and/or pops in the song. I was not sure if this could cause that to happen or not.

Thanks for any input on this!
Old 06-24-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Copying actually can cause squeaks in the MP3...however I have yet to have that happen to me.

To be on the safe side you could do an xcopy /v to copy your files and verify them to the original.
Old 06-24-02, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by palebluedot
Copying actually can cause squeaks in the MP3...however I have yet to have that happen to me.

To be on the safe side you could do an xcopy /v to copy your files and verify them to the original.
Would you mind explaining how I would do this? But, I am safe to move the files to another folder?

Thanks for the quick response!
Old 06-24-02, 06:51 PM

I'm pretty sure you can cut and paste harmlessly. I don't know about copying though.
Old 06-24-02, 07:07 PM

This thread is most confusing. Of course copying mp3 from one drive to another will not change the file at all. It would be like copying a word document and having the new copy have new spelling errors. And as far as copying being a CAUSE of pops and squeaks??? Pure nonsense, of course.
Jon
Old 06-24-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
the pops happened during the encoding. probably had too many programs running when they were ripped from the cd. I've had some do that when I encoded and had a lot of stuff running
Old 06-24-02, 10:29 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I have had zip files (game roms) become corrupted from transferring them to one physical drive to another.
Old 06-24-02, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by SubZero
This thread is most confusing. Of course copying mp3 from one drive to another will not change the file at all. It would be like copying a word document and having the new copy have new spelling errors. And as far as copying being a CAUSE of pops and squeaks??? Pure nonsense, of course.
Jon
I have read threads where people complain that copying a file has caused a once good file to now have a squeak or chirp. However this has never happened to me.
Old 06-24-02, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
I have had zip files (game roms) become corrupted from transferring them to one physical drive to another.
Yes, but that's not what *usually* happens when we all copy data from one place to another. This is the reason we copy and backup data, because it is the same information in 2 different places and creates an exact duplicate. If a file is corrupted, then it is an anomaly. No one would be able to copy any files to different places if they were getting corrupted every time they were copied. We'd see a *lot* of pissed off people on Kazaa if there were corrupt copies floating around.
Old 06-25-02, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by Lampei

Yes, but that's not what *usually* happens when we all copy data from one place to another. This is the reason we copy and backup data, because it is the same information in 2 different places and creates an exact duplicate. If a file is corrupted, then it is an anomaly. No one would be able to copy any files to different places if they were getting corrupted every time they were copied. We'd see a *lot* of pissed off people on Kazaa if there were corrupt copies floating around.
Quite true...however...I work for a data storage company and data corruption happens all the time. The only difference in the data storage world is EVERYTHING is either mirrored or stored in a RAID group for data recovery.
Old 06-26-02, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had at least a couple of data files (programs) downloaded from kazaalite that have "corrupted" within the last couple of months. Don't remember if this has been a result of moving said file from "my shared folder" on c: to my data partition on d: or what. My HDD is getting pretty old 4 years or so and it's possibly going funny.

In any case, this has happened to me (very open ended statement - take for what it's worth)
Old 06-26-02, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, but how many other things have been written to your computer that have not corrupted (e-mails, save files, images, sound files)