Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

CD-RW drive recognized as plain CD-ROM drive? (HELP!)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-22-02, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, my brother's old CD-RW drive crapped out (the tray would not even open). I bought him a new one as a gift (a Buslink 40x) and installed it. The directions assure that when you turn the computer on after installation, the drive will be recognized and the drivers will be installed automatically. This didn't happen. After messing around with the jumpers, I achieved some success. The computer now realizes that there is a CD drive installed, but if I go into a burning program (Nero, etc.), it does not think that it is a CD-R/CD-RW drive. I can play music and read data from the drive, but since it is not recognized as a CD-R/CD-RW drive, I can't burn with it.

Buslink's site was no help, and there are no drivers or driver updates listed there. My brother's PC is running Win 98. Anyone have any suggestions? I may just return this one tomorrow and roll the dice on another model unless someone has any ideas on what the problem might be.
Old 06-22-02, 10:26 PM

Is your copy of Nero up-to-date? Perhaps your drive is a new model and not recognized by the installed Nero software as a compatible drive. Try updating it, and see if Nero sees the drive afterwards.
Old 06-22-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh man!

Thank you very much for this suggestion. I never considered that. I had Nero installed already, so I figured "No need to reinstall the version that came with the new drive." After I read your post, I uninstalled the old version, installed the one that came with the drive, and sure enough, it works now.

Again, thank you! I was going down the completely wrong path trying to solve this.
Old 06-23-02, 09:17 PM

No problem at all - I'm glad I could help