Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

dvd drive - computer recognizes but -- ziltch

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-22-02, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have windows xp, a computer from dell that i added a sony dvd drive to.

When I first put it in it worked and now nothing. The computer says it's there, put a disc in and nothing happens, the computer freezes momentarily and the icon in the my computer section for the drive goes away.

Anybody have any ideas.

This did work when I first put it in now nothing.

does it have something to do with the jumper on the back?
Old 06-22-02, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm having similar problems with my drive
Old 06-22-02, 01:50 PM

I don't understand what's going on with this. I just downloaded a patch from power dvd.

I was watching a dvd, now nothing.

The computer knows it's there but if I put a disc in it freezes, then the computer doesn't recognize the drive.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!help
Old 06-23-02, 05:38 PM

Ok I'll help with what I can....at present I don't have enough information to know what is happening. I'm assuming when you say that it is recognized that Windows XP is just listing it. But when you put a disc in nothing happens. Now is this true for all disc? DVD and CDr's alike?

If this just happened recently then try using system restore Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and restore the computer to a time prior to the time this started happening. That maybe the quickest solution. I'm assuming it worked rather recently because you say you dled a patch. A patch for what? and why? especially if it was working.

Answer my questions and let me know if the above helped at all.
When did it sart happening?
It was working before? What changed?

Thanks.
Old 06-23-02, 05:48 PM

it is listed under the 'my computer" listing, and under the hardware listings in the control panel and being in the computer and functioning properly.

the patch was an update for the power dvd software which is an update for the 3.0 version. i don't think this has anything to do with it.

as of right now i have the cdr drive that came with the computor working find but nothing from the dvd drive I've added.

i've tried the jumper pin selector in every combination i can think of and nothing helps
Old 06-23-02, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just an idea, try uninstall PowerDVD and reinstall it and don't add the patch.

What is the cpu speed, memory, and wattage of the power supply? I am assuming that you're computer is new and has sufficient resources, but we just need more info.
Old 06-23-02, 07:15 PM

dell 4400 1.7ghz

win xp
Old 06-23-02, 07:17 PM

like i said, the cdr that came with the computer works fine.

the dvd player i put in is either hit or miss, it will work fine and then not work without changing any settings or restarting.

this is getting maddening.
Old 06-23-02, 07:20 PM

when the computer recognizes the drive and says it's working properly but it really doesn't what else is there to try?

This drive has worked in the past. when i first installed it, it worked like a charm.
Old 06-23-02, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like I said, this is happening to me... I ordered a new power supply, so I'm hoping that is the problem as my current PSU is only 185W. My CD-R works fine, but the DVD doesn't, even though it spins the disks and everything. Very odd indeed... I've had a couple disks work, but barely (meaning very slow, or then freezing). I'll let you know if the power supply helps once I get it.
Old 06-23-02, 07:55 PM

it's beyond maddening is what it is.

there is nothing worse then something working and then not working for no apparent reason.

the times my dvd player has worked it has worked fine. now i put in a disc and the computer just freezes.
Old 06-23-02, 10:28 PM

Well how long was the drive working normally before it just started 'not working'? Also, messing with the jumper settings on the drive won't do anything unless there is another drive on the same IDE controller and you also adjust its jumpers accordingly. I doubt this is the problem anyway or it wouldn't have worked in the first place. How are your drives set up anyway? Is DMA enabled for the DVD-ROM drive? And does the DVD-ROM drive read CDs without this problem?
Old 06-23-02, 10:29 PM

Heh. A lot of people have been getting this lately. It's not a software problem but a problem with the DVD drive. I plan on getting an RMA for mine next week.
Old 06-24-02, 08:38 AM

here's a stupid question, how do i enable the dma?

the cdr and the dvd are on the same cable, I have the dvd set to master and the cdr set to slave
Old 06-24-02, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Go to device manager and look for the sony dvd drive and click properties and click the settings tab, and check the dma box.
Old 06-24-02, 03:21 PM

Aparently I had to wait for awhile till my questions were answered even then in part. If it works sometimes and not others.then there is absolutely nothig wrong with the settings...
Think of that one...if there was something wrong with they way it's set up it wouldn't work at all...so having that mind...get a new one, exchange, refund whatever, don't waste time with it anymore.
Old 06-25-02, 12:24 PM

It most likely is a defective drive. The laser pickup might have went bad. It happens. Could have somehow become mis aligned, or it could just be really dirty. If it used to work and now it doesn't the settings cannot be incorrect. I have had drive failures before. I had a toshiba dvd rom that I bought OEM stop working just outside the 3 month warranty window. I was S.O.L.

I wouldn't think the power supply would be an issue either, if you were not getting enough power the computer probably would not even post.

One thing that does happen quite frequently especially if you are installing components, check to make sure all your cables are plugged in tight. Sometimes its a tough stretch for some of those IDE cables when you are connecting multiple devices. Make sure they are pressed firmly down. If they are not in all the way sometimes they work sometimes they dont.
Old 06-25-02, 12:36 PM

I'm starting to think it's something mechanical. Before i put a disc in and pushed the door closed with my finger and it immediately spun up and played fine.

I can't seem to get it to do it again though, this makes me think whatever device inside which is supposed to start the ball rolling is not working.
Old 06-25-02, 12:39 PM

the drive is working as we speak. I set the auto play to dvd and windows media player. ejected the tray, put the disc in and closed it slowly with my finger, like i said, it's playing right now.

I'm no expert but this sounds mechanical to me, anyone agree?
Old 06-25-02, 12:41 PM

ps inside the device i can see a small pole rising up from the base of the unit.

Directly behind this is a wheel with teeth on it and a small plastic clamp that seems like it's supposed to fit around the pole but is not attached.

anyone know what this is supposed to do?
Old 06-25-02, 12:44 PM

ps ps sony's customer service refered me to a store here in nyc who's owner imformed me he not only does not fix computers but does not deal with sony.

anyway, anybody have any experience returning broken goods to comp usa after the 14 day limit?
Old 06-25-02, 02:49 PM

If I were you, I would take the drive back to CompUSA, and make a stink about it. Feel free to get a little loud, etc,. "I'm a good customer". This ALWAYS works for me, and I don't say that in a way that I abuse it. The drive sounds mechanically flawed, and if they refuse to take it back, tell them that you will be happy to write a letter to your local paper or media circulation detailing their refusal - and then use the old "I'll just be going to _____ from now on" (fill in the blank with whatever retail store is their competitor in your area.

Generally speaking, I've never had a problem returning parts after a warranty period, in as far as 2 months over the exp. date (I once had a receiver go bad on me for no reason, and BB took it back without incident - replacing it with a better model, as the one I returned was going to be discontinued).
Old 06-25-02, 05:07 PM

You could always buy the exact same drive and return the defective one. Not that I would do anything like that...
Old 06-26-02, 10:36 AM

i quick look at my receipt shows me that the sales girl with the pretty smile talked me into the ten dollar extra extended warrarnty.

off to comp usa we go.
Old 06-27-02, 10:35 AM

the new drive works fine, the same way the old one did when I first put it in.

to be on the safe side I would recomend people avoid the sony udd1621---just to be safe