Reload this Page >

winXP and firewall?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

winXP and firewall?

Old 06-22-02, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
winXP and firewall?

OK. so I just put on XP in the last few days and so far I think it's GREAT! but I am having troubles with Zone Alarm and XP. I also tried neoworx firewall but had conflicts with it too since it's not really designed for XP. So my question is, what 3rd party software firewall do you XP users recommend using?
Old 06-22-02, 09:44 AM

I'm using XP Pro and installed Zone Alarm without any problem...been using it for about 2 months now.
Old 06-22-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk God

are you using an old version of zone alarm?
because their was an issue with XP booting up to fast for all versions of ZA to full initiliaze

back when we were beta testing XP.. there wasnt a ZA that could handle it.. so we had to setup a batch file with a wait command and put it in our startup group.
Old 06-22-02, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just d/led the 30 day trial of pro to try out. the problems I was having before was with a previous d/l of the free version. I read XP sometimes has trouble remembering settings with ZA too. Like ever so often you need to give it commands again that you've already previously answered. But this ZA pro is booting up alright with me. It takes it a minute or so to get in to the tray but it makes it. BUt that could also be due to the delay in the "trial" flash screen that comes up each time that I have to hit "try" or "buy" on .......