Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Urgent - Computer will not boot...

Old 06-21-02, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Urgent - Computer will not boot...

I just moved back from San Diego to Orange for the summer and I plugged my computer in and hit the power button, and nothing happens. The power goes on, the fans start up, but nothing comes up on the monitor (which I know is working). After a beep or two, I get one really long beep and then the computer shuts down.

Please advise as to what the problem may be.
Old 06-21-02, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

make sure you check that all the plugs are in the right spot making contact. what mb?
Old 06-21-02, 03:08 PM
X
Administrator

Check that your memory didn't come loose - reseat it. You might take out and reinsert all your boards too. This is not uncommon after a move.
Old 06-21-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I took out and reset the memory. I took out and reset the video card. I unplugged and replugged in every hard drive and CD-ROM.

The board is a Soyo-KT333 Dragon Ultra.

I get one quick beep and then a really long one. Then it shuts down. No video to be seen.
Old 06-21-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Look in your motherboard manual; it has a listing of what the different post beeps mean. For example, one long beep during boot (on my mobo) means no memory present, etc.
Old 06-21-02, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, according to Soyousa.com:

The beep indicated that the motherboad did not detect the your memory. Please check and make sure the memory is fully seated into the slot. If you have re-seated the memory a few time and it is still not working, then the memory you have may not be compatible with the board.

This really sucks. I don't want to go buy 512 MB PC2700 again...****!
Old 06-21-02, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But that applies for one LONG beep, u said you were getting 2 short beeps and one long beep.
Old 06-21-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

hum video card. by chance do you have another video card to test in the system?

I would also pull out and reseat all the cards for the heck of it.
Old 06-21-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
remove all cards but the video card
do you get any type of display on the monitor?
any more beeps?
all you need to boot with on most mobos is ram and a processor
Old 06-21-02, 04:21 PM
Banned

My parents had a similar problem. It turned out to be a fried motherboard ...
Old 06-21-02, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Soup Nazi
My parents had a similar problem. It turned out to be a fried motherboard ...
Any idea what might have caused it? I've reset the RAM so it's probably not that and I don't have a spare video card. This is very upsetting. I've never had any problems moving before......
Old 06-21-02, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by huzefa
But that applies for one LONG beep, u said you were getting 2 short beeps and one long beep.
At first I said one or two short beeps followed by a long one. Then I said it was just one short beep followed by the long one. Still having the same problem - one short beep followed by the long one after which it shuts itself down.
Old 06-21-02, 04:45 PM
X
Administrator

How about putting in the minimum amount of RAM that you can (if you have more than one stick). Try that, then if it doesn't work try out another stick by itself.
Old 06-21-02, 04:50 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Blake
Any idea what might have caused it? I've reset the RAM so it's probably not that and I don't have a spare video card. This is very upsetting. I've never had any problems moving before......
A hairline crack in the board itself from years of adding and removing components and cleanings ...
Old 06-21-02, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what are you posting on now?

can you take out the video card from it?

edit: he probably pulled the video card from the computer he was posting with and now he has no computers

Last edited by gcribbs; 06-21-02 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-21-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks guys for the help - actually I was sleeping earlier since I hadn't slept in 30+ hours because of World Cup Soccer and my move. I went to Fry's, bought a cheap graphics card (didn't have a spare) and cheap RAM (128 PC 2100 - $28.00). After installing the RAM didn't work, I put my old RAM back in along with the graphics card, but that didn't work either. So as a last ditch effort, I moved my old RAM to another slot - and viola!, it worked.

So now I've got to go brave the Fry's return lines and take back my cheap Kaser S305-32A 32 MB graphics card and the RAM...but at least my computer works. Now I've got to get the damn_home network set up here so I can have internet on my computer...what a pain in the ass.
Old 06-21-02, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Blake
Thanks guys for the help - actually I was sleeping earlier since I hadn't slept in 30+ hours because of World Cup Soccer and my move. I went to Fry's, bought a cheap graphics card (didn't have a spare) and cheap RAM (128 PC 2100 - $28.00). After installing the RAM didn't work, I put my old RAM back in along with the graphics card, but that didn't work either. So as a last ditch effort, I moved my old RAM to another slot - and viola!, it worked.

So now I've got to go brave the Fry's return lines and take back my cheap Kaser S305-32A 32 MB graphics card and the RAM...but at least my computer works. Now I've got to get the damn_home network set up here so I can have internet on my computer...what a pain in the ass.
I wonder what happened to the other slot

I hate when little things like that happen.

Glad it is working again.

I will keep my eye out for the "My computer will not work and all i did was install this networking kit" thread