Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

trojan/virus/ad system on my computer

Old 06-21-02, 11:57 AM
Cool New Member

trojan/virus/ad system on my computer

I'm running Windows XP professional version and I must have installed some weird type of ad service on my computer. Here's the deal: every so often when I'm loading up a webpage, a little popup appears and it goes to a script at 207.246.124.101, where it sends the current address I'm at and then opens a new window displaying a relavent advertisement and then it closes the first window.

I'm sick of this thing, there is no way for me to get rid of it. I tried minimizing the programs i run on startup, I goto task manager and close most processes and applications. I did a lookup on that IP, and ultimately it seems I am going to have to deal with this. Does anyone know how to get rid of it other than reinstalling windows?
Old 06-21-02, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well, first, i would run a thorough scan with your antivirus program (and make sure the definitions are up to date).

then, download and run adaware. it should catch most of the stuff out there that does this crap.

adware and spyware really tick me off.

"welcome to the ad server " is what i get when i go to that address.....

cranky.