Reload this Page >

Does anyplace NOT have XP preinstalled?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-21-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to buy a new desktop, at least 1.3, CDRW and DVD ROM drives required (speed not as important, but at least 24x for the CDRW.) Out side of that, I don't require too much, other than what would be considered normal and good for a computer with a 1.3 processor. The main problem I am running into these days are all the places I shop at have XP preinstalled. I know people with horror stories with XP and would prefer to just stick with Windows 98, or Windows NT. I have both Windows NT and ME discs at home, but I understand that if you get a comptuer with XP on it, you can't install an older version of Windows on the system without problems. So what is my best hope?

I would also prefer to keep the price under $700 for the desktop.
Old 06-21-02, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FWIW, I've had an XP PC for about 5 months now, and have no problems with it..

Check out Dell, they might be able to custom fit one for you
Old 06-21-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Thunderball
FWIW, I've had an XP PC for about 5 months now, and have no problems with it..

Check out Dell, they might be able to custom fit one for you
I have a buddy who got XP who had nothing but problems. I don't know if it was the applications he was using on it. Quite a bit of downloading, burning CDs and DVDs, maybe even some pirating, I don't know. I was kind of curious to know those of you who do not have problems with XP, is it due to the applications you might use it for or not use it for? Or have the bugs been worked out of the initial release of the program?
Old 06-21-02, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think you can still get systems with windows 2000 preinstalled. Look at dell, you might have look at the small business systems rather than home systems to get that kind of option. (plus they have better deals on occasion)

Dave
Old 06-21-02, 12:42 PM
Mod Emeritus

I'm wondering if the XP problem people have home edition. I hacve had XP pro for about six months and haven't had any problems. I also don't use the XP themes either so I'm not sure if that may be causing issues for people. Just use classic mode for everything and it runs much nicer.
Old 06-21-02, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Ive setup and used about 50 xp machines
never had a single problem

there are some people that have problems of course..
and there are some people that have problems with 2000 or win98 or win95

and of course, most everyone has problems with winME

but winxp and win2k are the most stable windows operating systems you can get.. if your friend had compatibility issues, its one thing (although, pretty much everything should be compatible, due to the great compatibility modes).. but if his problem was with how the operating system ran.. then he got screwed by whoever set it up for him, or he is doing something wrong

as far the bugs being worked out
the bugs still havent been worked out of 95

and of course, winme is a bug all on it own
Old 06-21-02, 04:02 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by twikoff
and of course, most everyone has problems with winME
I have a system that I put WinME on temporarily. I almost never use it and it's almost never on. I'd occasionally use it for an hour or two and I left it on overnight a few times. Usually if I left it on for more than a few hours it froze completely. Then all of a sudden WinME decided it didn't have a soundcard installed. Re-installed the drivers and it was still convinced there wasn't a soundcard. That's when I put '98 on it temporarily and it still runs fine (as of last night). Eventually it's getting a linux makeover, but I haven't decided on when to do that or what I'll be putting on it. I might be switching some hardware too, so it may be aesier to wait until that point.
Old 06-21-02, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the replies. I think I actually feel a tad more comfortable about getting XP.
Old 06-21-02, 10:56 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by calhoun07
Thanks for the replies. I think I actually feel a tad more comfortable about getting XP.
I dual-boot between ME and XP because some of my software/hardware works better with ME, and some with XP. XP has been pretty stable for me, though I won't say I've NEVER had an error.

Something that recently impressed me about XP-- I bought a new digital camera ( a Sony Cybershot F707) and had to install drivers for ME to recognize the camera over USB. Then, later, I booted to XP and had it recognize and access the camera instantly without having to install a single driver.
Old 06-21-02, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been running XP Pro (Enterprise Edition) for 6 months now and never a problem at all. Very reliable.