Reload this Page >

Pictures of the new rig

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Pictures of the new rig

Old 06-20-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pictures of the new rig

Just switched out my motherboard, processor, ram, and added a new hard drive. She's (almost) a whole new computer..

For some reason, last week, I became obsessed with putting a window plus lighting in my case. Keep in mind, I am not a flashy guy.. I truly must have had a braindead moment when I ordered a window kit and lighting.. but now that I look at it, it's pretty cool.

Excuse the extreme cabling mess.. have to do some tidying up this weekend.

--edit--
Just in case anybody ever looks at this again, I updated the pictures to show the black nylon sleeving I used to bundle power cables. It is still messy, but not as bad as before.
--edit--

Specs:

AthlonXP 1800+
Gigabyte GA-7VRXP
Thermaltake Volcano 7
2x256mb Crucial PC2100
Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 Kyro II
Some old Matrox card for 2nd monitor

Maxtor 80gb 7200rpm Fluid bearing
Seagate 30gb 7200rpm
Fujitsu 20gb 5400rpm

Toshiba SD-1212 DVD-ROM
Teac 24x12x40x CD-RW
Sony 10x4x32x CD-RW

(Old computer was running a Celeron [email protected] on an Asus P3B-F board.)

Last edited by pantala; 06-29-02 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-20-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Um, very nice but I think this is in the wrong forum.
Old 06-20-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very nice. That thermal take fan looks hardcore; do they make 'em for P4's? I'm using the one that came with the box currently. Also what is that silver cable surrounded by the plastic sheath for? Finally where did you get the window and the lighting. I have an Antec sx830 case; do they make windows like that for this model?
Old 06-20-02, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by huzefa
Very nice. That thermal take fan looks hardcore; do they make 'em for P4's? I'm using the one that came with the box currently. Also what is that silver cable surrounded by the plastic sheath for? Finally where did you get the window and the lighting. I have an Antec sx830 case; do they make windows like that for this model?
The Tt heatsink looks impressive because it has an 80mm on it.. moves quite a bit of air. The Volcano 7 is meant for AMD Athlons and Intel Socket 7 processors, but the Volcano 7+ is universal. It's a decent fan.. comes with a 3 speed switch.

The silver cables are rounded ATA133 IDE cables. They look a little better than the flat cables, and allow for better air circulation, although with my cable mess, I doubt I'm getting much benefit (yet).

I get my cables (and my heatsink/fans) from Silicon Valley Compucycle (http://www.svcompucycle.com/).. they are a very reputable and fast company with excellent prices (the best prices on rounded cables).

I got my window kit from The Cooler Guys (http://www.coolerguys.com), and installed it myself. It just takes about 30 minutes with a Dremel tool or a jigsaw to cut the hole in the case.

Lighting was bought from a guy on ebay.. if you do a search for "cold cathode", you'll come across a ton of listings.
Old 06-20-02, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very cool
Old 06-20-02, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet.
Old 06-20-02, 06:48 PM

I'm not a computer guy, and I think that's great looking. I am a Dave Matthews fan - did you do that yourself?

Question - Does having a plastic side, instead of metal, cause any heat problems/concerns?
Old 06-20-02, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It looks cool!
Old 06-21-02, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that cost?
Old 06-21-02, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very nice...post some pics when you get the wires cleaned up.
Old 06-21-02, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Christo
I'm not a computer guy, and I think that's great looking. I am a Dave Matthews fan - did you do that yourself?

Question - Does having a plastic side, instead of metal, cause any heat problems/concerns?
Ah, I was waiting to see if anybody recognized or questioned what that etching is of.. glad to see somebody recognize firedancer! The custom "etching" is really a decal applied to the inside of the window.. pretty convincing though. It was made by a local company, however there are a few places online that will do custom appliques for you. Just search for "custom applique" on google.

I haven't noticed any heat problems with having an acrylic window.. although the computer may be slightly louder than if it was metal.

Originally posted by huzefa
If you don't mind me asking, how much did that cost?
The upgraded parts (motherboard, CPU, ram, heatsink/fan, power supply, hard drive) ended up costing about $450. Not too bad, considering I had a decent video card, DVD/RW drives, and good case.
Old 06-22-02, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Um, very nice but I think this is in the wrong forum.
Isn't this the only Computer and Hardware Forum at DVDTalk?

I suppose he could have posted this over at the Other-Mature Forum because his computer is very sexy!

Very nice job pantala.
Old 06-22-02, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pantala

The upgraded parts (motherboard, CPU, ram, heatsink/fan, power supply, hard drive) ended up costing about $450. Not too bad, considering I had a decent video card, DVD/RW drives, and good case.
Actually I was asking how much the window, powersupply and rounded cables were. I'd love to get those.
Old 06-22-02, 05:39 PM

Damn that HSF is sexy.