Reload this Page >

Is there a DVD integrity checker?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-20-02, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone has seen/written a DVD integrity checker?

I envision something whereby you could insert your DVD into your DVD rom drive and the computer would quickly scan it and let you know about any read errors or potential read errors.

I think this would be a big benefit to those of us who run out to BB or HV (or Rogers up here - Heist $9.99 CDN!) to pick up some PVDs only to later find that some part of the disc is unreadable and being unable to return the disc due to you being beyond the 30-day limit.

I often find it hard to muster up the time to check out every feature of every disc I buy the second I get it home. I'm sure that I am not the only one on this board that suffers from this as well.

Does anyone know of such a program? Thanks!
Old 06-20-02, 10:51 AM

I've always thought this would be a cool idea ... with all the bum discs people get. I have DVDs that have been on the shelf for 6 months and I have no hope of seeing a receipt for them.

- Jeff
Old 06-21-02, 11:39 AM
Admin Emeritus

At the request of the thread starter, moving to the Computer Forum.
Old 06-21-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This would be a good thing as I also have a stack of previously viewed DVDs that need to be watched before the 30 days are up. I have all of my receipts, but 30 days is not long enough for me. Usually I'm able to exchange after 30 days, but it would be nice to not have to worry. Maybe we can hire a person to watch them and make sure they're okay. That could be a side industry in itself. Sign me up for that.