Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Are PCI IDE cards (i.e. Promise, etc.) worth it?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-20-02, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a really old motherboard (Intel AL440LX, one of the first with AGP, USB, etc.), and soon I plan on upgrading the HD to a much larger and faster one.

But the DMA/33 bus speed could hold the performance back. If I get a 100 or 133 speed drive, even though my bus speed is lower, could a PCI IDE controller card rated at 100 or 133 speed things up?

I'm not interested in such a card so that I can hook up multiple drives, just really want any possible speed increase. Does it make sense to get one for me?
Old 06-20-02, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I doubt it is worth any major expense unless you use applications that are very intensive in using the hard drive.

personally I would not spend the money so many other things are going to slow down the system since it is older I just do not think the speed difference will be that noticable.
Old 06-20-02, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seems like they are only really useful if you need it to get around a bios limitation on hard drive size. I have an old P166 that has an ultra ata133 card in it to handle the large drives I installed.

Dave
Old 06-20-02, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Dave99
Seems like they are only really useful if you need it to get around a bios limitation on hard drive size. I have an old P166 that has an ultra ata133 card in it to handle the large drives I installed.

Dave
no bios flash that would have let the onboard take care of the size restraint for you?

although of course, you couldnt have gotten 133 from your mb
Old 06-20-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you just need to handle a larger size, you would want to check for a BIOS upgrade first (a friend of mine with an old PII board went that route). However, you say that you want to take advantage of the higher transfer rate, and a BIOS transfer won't help there, so I say go with the third party card (and they're not that expensive, anyways).

RD
Old 06-20-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nope, last bios update from asus capped out at 32GB.

Dave
Originally posted by twikoff

no bios flash that would have let the onboard take care of the size restraint for you?

although of course, you couldnt have gotten 133 from your mb
Old 06-20-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DivxGuy
If you just need to handle a larger size, you would want to check for a BIOS upgrade first (a friend of mine with an old PII board went that route). However, you say that you want to take advantage of the higher transfer rate, and a BIOS transfer won't help there, so I say go with the third party card (and they're not that expensive, anyways).

RD
No, my BIOS will have no problem handling the larger size. That's not the issue.

I want higher performance--ATA100 instead of ATA33. Can a card help with that?
Old 06-20-02, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You will probably notice some increase by the drive itself, being newer and faster than what you have. I don't think you would notice much on top of that increase by adding a new controller. It might benchmark higher, but I doubt you will see it.

Dave
Originally posted by Jepthah

No, my BIOS will have no problem handling the larger size. That's not the issue.

Old 06-21-02, 09:46 AM
Banned

Only if the card does Raid 0 and you've got 2 hard drives.
Old 06-21-02, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Reason says it will, and you can get Promise ATA 100 cards for $20 bucks. You have virtually nothing to lose - go for it!

RD
Old 06-21-02, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DivxGuy
Reason says it will, and you can get Promise ATA 100 cards for $20 bucks. You have virtually nothing to lose - go for it!

RD
with so many things slowing his system down. the small performance increase will really be not noticed by him. a benchmarking program will see a diffence I bet. However in day to day use i doubt he would notice it.

In fact I bet the biggest change will come from the newer faster hard drive with faster access times which he will notice on the existing setup.

The ata100 or 133 will not be enough additional to spend the $20 more IMO.
Personally save the $20 dollars and put it into the get a better computer fund